View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gedor99
New Member!
Male 

20-01-2011, 10:02 PM
different dogs require different types & length of exercise - it is criminal to have a border collie & take it foir walks when it wants 3-4 hours of physical exercise a day whereas you would not do that to a greyhound or whippet

There is a problem in that many people get a dog on a whim without researching the dogs needs

Ged
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:13 PM
In the context you are describing (healthy 7 month old Lab not ever getting walked), then yes that is cruel and terribly unfair in my mind.

I think there is no excuse to not walk an otherwise healthy, willing dog at least occasionally. My Yorkie isn't bothered at all about being walked everyday. In fact, she sounds a lot like Pilgrim's Ozzy. She doesn't do cold, rain or snow, she certainly doesn't do other dogs and she isn't a big sniffer. She still does get walks, obviously, but she could go weeks and weeks without them. My other two on the other hand have never gone a day without walks and definitely need them.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't think it's important for all dogs to be walked every day necessarily but for the majority I think at least regular exercise is important. Molly goes out everyday but if it is raining or snowing, she doesn't like to go out so I don't make her.

Regarding the specific situation - what about going round and saying you're going out for a walk and did the boy and his dog want to go with you and your dog?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 11:04 PM
I probably don't take Jobie out as often as I should, but he's just as happy to laze the day away as he is to go out, the only way you could get a less demanding dog than him would be to get a stuffed one! His leg plays up if he's road walking for more than 20 minutes or so anyway. Once I get my driving license and can get to all of those nice country walks however...
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:44 AM
A walk isnt just about physical exercise ... its also mental stimulation for the dog , new scents , new sounds , new things to see , possibly meeting other dogs and having playtime with them

Im not going to say its cruel not to walk a dog , there could be many factors as to why it wasnt possible , but I would feel sorry for that animal because they would be missing out on a huge part of what should be a dogs experiences
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:00 AM
I believe it all depends on the dog.

My two are so different.

Lennon LOVES a walk and will go for miles.

Mya (his mum) likes them much, much less. She has one or sometimes two very short walks (5 mins) a day and is much happier when she's back on the doorstep again.

If she never wanted to fo out for a walk again, I wouldn't force her to. She is a very nervous dog, and forcing her to do something that she's frightened of is out of the question.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:50 AM
In this context i would offer to help out,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it all depends on the dog, Fudge is 11 months and from the outside looks perfectly fit and well, however he is down to walking about 3 times a week, and never comes on our weekend 2 hour jaunt to Temple Newsam these days, because although his mind is willing, he won't be able to walk for two days after if he does, just saying that appearances can be deceptive
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 07:16 AM
Putting my critical hat on, I can't help wondering why a person with a young child and health issues has taken on a young lab in the first place but that is the situation that must be dealt with.

However, if she is unable to take the dog herself, and has had an offer from a responsible other person, then it cannot be right for her to refuse the dog that opportunity.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:30 AM
What about dogs that don't want to go for walks though? My Sister's Bichon Frise Lily falls into this category as when my sister gets her lead on she hides!

She is physically healthy.

When my Mum looked after her last year we took her out in the car with Parker and they had a lovely walk on the park together and she looked really happy-perhaps she needed the confidence of having "big brother" Parker with her?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Thankyou for all your replies, the neighbour walks to school n back everyday and could take the dog with them, i feel so sad about it. Will mention about going for a walk when next see them.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >