View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Your dog's favourite ploy to get your attention?

Dexter has gone from being an aloof and rather solitary fellow, to now enjoying attention, which is great.

As I work from home, though, there are inevitably times when I need to focus on something else. Lately Dex has thought up some new ploys to get my attention.

His current favourite: going to the bookcase, examining the contents very earnestly, then grabbing a book before trotting past me with his tail high and the book in his mouth.

Yesterday I was especially busy for half an hour; Dex had already been walked etc and was lazing on the sofa. Then out the corner of my eye I noted him approaching the bookcase. I continued working away until several minutes later when he went galloping past - he had four books in his mouth and as he passed me I swear he turned and shot me a look of sheer, unadulterated triumph!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Lol at your Dexter there, he'll be nicking your glasses next!!!

Georgie never wants my attention, and if he does, he just comes over and puts a paw on my lap coz he wants a cuddle. Zena, however, is constantly vying for my attention at home, if I'm sitting down I get the squeaky ball plonked on my lap, then she sits there staring at me and if I'm sitting at the puter, she just sits there staring at me with the ball on the floor in front of her in the hope that I'll play - she usually wins of course!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Jed isnt very affectionate and will actually move away if you try and pet him so I dont normally try. His way of asking for attention is to push his head through my legs from the front so only his bum is poking out and then he does a little dance when you scratch his backside. If he's feeling a bit more sensitive he'll just rest his muzzle between my knees when i'm standing and then he wants an ear scratch or head massage.

Flynns ploy is to bring me a toy normally or if he's got a problem of some sort he'll let out a little soft bark to get my attention.

Jessie paws for attention or nudges under my hand/arm.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Well doesn't every parent want their 'child' to have an appetite for books?

Molly's favourite technique for getting attention is to jump onto my lap, grab something from my desk and then run off. It is especially effective when the 'something' is my pair of glasses!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Dexter has gone from being an aloof and rather solitary fellow, to now enjoying attention, which is great.

As I work from home, though, there are inevitably times when I need to focus on something else. Lately Dex has thought up some new ploys to get my attention.

His current favourite: going to the bookcase, examining the contents very earnestly, then grabbing a book before trotting past me with his tail high and the book in his mouth.

Yesterday I was especially busy for half an hour; Dex had already been walked etc and was lazing on the sofa. Then out the corner of my eye I noted him approaching the bookcase. I continued working away until several minutes later when he went galloping past - he had four books in his mouth and as he passed me I swear he turned and shot me a look of sheer, unadulterated triumph!
I think that is just brilliant - can picture it now

My staffie just puts her head under my arm and pushes as a lot of dogs do. However, last summer I was sitting on a step in the garden with a pint glass of water. Just started to take a sip and she came behind me, head under my arm, water all over my face - just like that advert that Leonard Rossiter and Joan Collins did on the 'plane.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Lovely responses guys
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Dahlia is not too terribly creative. If she wants to get your attention she:

1. First comes over to you and sits in front you. She sits very straight up, very attentive looking.

2. If you ignore her, she puts a paw on you.

3. If you continue to ignore her, she takes her paw off and puts it back on a couple times.

4. If you STILL continue to ignore her, she then leaves the first paw on and adds a second paw so that both are sitting in your lap.

5. If you haven't yet looked at the sad pathetic dog with the earnest brown eyes, she will then stand up with her paws in your lap and lick your face.

Usually that gets your attention pretty good!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Dahlia is not too terribly creative. If she wants to get your attention she:

1. First comes over to you and sits in front you. She sits very straight up, very attentive looking.

2. If you ignore her, she puts a paw on you.

3. If you continue to ignore her, she takes her paw off and puts it back on a couple times.

4. If you STILL continue to ignore her, she then leaves the first paw on and adds a second paw so that both are sitting in your lap.

5. If you haven't yet looked at the sad pathetic dog with the earnest brown eyes, she will then stand up with her paws in your lap and lick your face.

Usually that gets your attention pretty good!

Ah that's cute!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Ah that's cute!
And she knows it too, which is why she usually gets attention long before the final step! It's only if we're in the middle of something we want to finish before taking her out that we get the whole prolonged spectacle.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Lovely stories & lovely thread

If you've got the willpower & the patience, Barney will gradually deposit the contents of his 2 large toy boxes on your lap

But that's only after 10 mins of intent staring & shifting round to sit in your line of sight.

nd if he wants me to get him something he can't reach, he sort of dances between me & the object "pointing" with his eyes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >