Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Dog 'asbos' being considered in parliament

Are dog asbos the way forward?

Parliament is discussing the idea of so-called 'Dog Asbos' which aim to put more responsibility on owners for the actions of their pets.

Many believe the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 is increasingly outdated in its approach to combating the problem.
See video here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12237444
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Are dog asbos the way forward?
If parliament gets involved they will just mess things up even more. When are these politicians going to realise that you can't legislate for what should be 'common sense' and that most of their constituents don't have any 'common sense' and that postman is just 'playing the system' saying he needs psychological counseling, what he's really saying is he wants 'compo' for getting bitten, it should be the dog owner who is paying any 'compensation' not the insurance company which only bumps up my premiums. I've been bitten by dogs wonder who I can claim off.

If parliament passed a law that no one could own a dog until they had passed a severe written and practical exam and had demonstrated they have the brains to own a dog then maybe it would have some effect, but of course that wouldn't win the MP's any votes as half their constituents can't read or write anyway. I'm upset that these stupid law makers always think they know best and always come up with half baked legislation to try to appease the idiots who run the media and the even bigger idiots who think they can enhance their reputation as 'hard men' by getting a dog. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm annoyed, wish I hadn't seen this video now
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Watched on news this morning, n really don't know what to thing tbh? From what have seen about 'human asbos' it takes some time n incidents/proof of anti social behaviour to be recognised n dealt with, n too late for some some folk. Hope very much that something can be done for the sake of all dogs n responsible owners but how will ever such be enforced, when current laws/legislation? has not worked(in many cases) so far Hope change for the better happens very soon though but 'the powers that be', take on board the advice n experiences of the most knowledgeable(sp?) folk they can can n many dog owners, before making any decisions. Also think that any changes need to involve global awareness etc. into the breeding n transportation of dogs and the motives behind such(no offence to any one).
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Its simply a result of people having less control of their dogs because the training is ineffective.

Adam
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Would be delightful, especially in instances like this morning where some little brats (only word to describe their behaviour sorry) from the local primary decided on their way to school that they were going to try to wind my guy up by screeching at him and barking and growling... no doubt if he'd have even barked back he would have been fitted out for an ASBO.

I want some protection for the instances where animals are provoked otherwise it becomes another tool to threaten and intimidate people with - look at me funny and I'll wind yer dog up then claim it's bitten me type deal. Sounds paranoid but I never underestimate the depths some people will sink to nowadays.

Yeah some people need looking at more closely - but we all know they won't be the ones who get hammered by any legislation - and even the normal ASBOs seem naff all use anyway.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I want some protection for the instances where animals are provoked otherwise it becomes another tool to threaten and intimidate people with - look at me funny and I'll wind yer dog up then claim it's bitten me type deal. Sounds paranoid but I never underestimate the depths some people will sink to nowadays.
Not paranoid at all - where I lived before, gangs of local youths would call my dog's name (overheard when in the park) from across the street & run back & forth, laughing as my dog got all steamed up & frustrated, lunging & barking manically. From his point of view, they were inviting him to chase them.

It went on for over 2 years, often daily, but the police weren't interested. The kids were also overheard saying "If she lets it off the lead, I'll stab it." I had to stop walking him in certain areas, couldn't go to the local park any more, and my dog's now got a real issue with any young males under the age of 25, especially if wearing a hoody and/or on bicycles.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:53 PM
An ASBO for a dog?
They aren't going to understand it?
It is just going to cause more strain on the numbers in rescue centres.
More dogs will be PTS due to it.

The world has gone mad.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 03:48 PM
So what they are proposing is to make people responsible for their animals ? I can't see anything wrong with that TBH, although yes circumstances would have to be taken into consideration. I know one of mine could bite I don't allow him to so we would not be in trouble if I allowed him to bite people I would be - seems fair enough to me.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/anima...s-$1364298.htm
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:32 PM
well asbos for kids are now seen as the in thing and used as a status, so i think this will be the same.
ATD x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I wonder where the 'Royal' dogs would stand.......