View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-01-2011, 08:23 AM

Here we go again....... (Toddler injured in dog attack)

Poor kid (2 years old), and now the dog will pay with it's life.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12230120
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Unless the parents were right on top of the incident I would imagine it was just telling the child off----otherwise the child would be dead or really badly injured. Still shouldn't have happened or beed allowed to happen.

rune
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Saw this on BBC breakfast news-very sad but I thought the comments were balanced. Felt very sorry for that poor postman who was still having counselling after he got bitten by a dog.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Why can't they just say a child was bitten? Why mention the breed? If it was a 6 month old Chihuahua (OK so maybe not as much damage would have been done) would it be as newsworthy?
So now we're going to get a load of silly, unjustified comments from the "mob" who believe all Akitas are dangerous and want them banned.

I really feel for the child and particularly the parents. But what did the toddler do to the dog? I don't accept that a dog will bite for no reason. There is always something to trigger it - whether we as humans are aware of it or not.

Also, why was a young toddler up at 2015 hours? Oscar, at 6 years old is already in bed before that time!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Why can't they just say a child was bitten? Why mention the breed? If it was a 6 month old Chihuahua (OK so maybe not as much damage would have been done) would it be as newsworthy?
So now we're going to get a load of silly, unjustified comments from the "mob" who believe all Akitas are dangerous and want them banned.

I really feel for the child and particularly the parents. But what did the toddler do to the dog? I don't accept that a dog will bite for no reason. There is always something to trigger it - whether we as humans are aware of it or not.

Also, why was a young toddler up at 2015 hours? Oscar, at 6 years old is already in bed before that time!
I agree with you! I do hope the child is ok and hasn't got a fear of dogs from this.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I missed the bit where it mentioned what type of dog but what really annoys me is that on TV they kept showing pictures of Staffies and the outside broadcaster was at a Dog Rescue and again, with a staffie. They have had a bad enough press as it is without showing them every time there is a dog attack even though a staffie was not involved.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I noticed the Staffy thing too. Unfortunately I walked the dog earlier today, hit the school walk crowd, dog on a very short leash, calling him to sit so parents and kids could get by me - you know, one of those occasions where the dog's so well behaved you're thinking "why can't you be like this allllll the time" - total model citizen. Still got the glares and mutters. Sorry but no I'm not going to lock myself in the house till the dead of night to keep your face straight because of a half-reported story on the news.

There's been so many reported recently there'll be more badly thought out knee jerk legislation soon I fear.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I hate the language they use as well, the child wasnt just bitten it was 'Mauled'!

There is more first class reporting in the sun (i know but its one of the few sites not banned at work and i am very bored!):

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...amily-pet.html
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
I missed the bit where it mentioned what type of dog but what really annoys me is that on TV they kept showing pictures of Staffies and the outside broadcaster was at a Dog Rescue and again, with a staffie. They have had a bad enough press as it is without showing them every time there is a dog attack even though a staffie was not involved.
It may have been all they had though-my work colleague was looking for a dog to rehome and wasn't having much luck as they were full of Staffies and Staffy crosses which she didn't want.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I hate the language they use as well, the child wasnt just bitten it was 'Mauled'!

There is more first class reporting in the sun (i know but its one of the few sites not banned at work and i am very bored!):

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...amily-pet.html
MAULED BY EIGHT STONE DOG!!! in the Daily Mail.

Their semi-detached house in Hailsham, East Sussex has a sign warning 'Danger Dogs Loose' and another saying 'Watch Out Rottweilers About' although the family do not have any Rottweilers.
It sounds like the dog went for him while he was patting him.
'This was just a freak incident. Kona has been with Lewis since he was born. Lewis plays with him and pats him and pulls at him and he is always fine. He is normally not like this at all. It is horrible.
Other dog (who did nowt) is going up for rehoming... the "OMG THESE AREN'T BANNED" bandwagon is rolling.

Anyone else reading the story between the lines from the "he pats and pulls at him" comment?