Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gypsum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Training dog to sniff out hidden objects

How do you train a dog to find things or treats or whatever that you have hidden?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Well the way I do it is to work out what motivates them first. If toys, I use those, if not, I use treats.

With toys - I keep a few 'special' toys that they don't get to play with all the time. I start out by having a quick game of catch etc with the ball to get them wanting it and then I put them in one room (at that stage neither of mine knew stay), show them that I've got the ball and then put the ball in the middle of another room -opened the door and said 'find it'. When the dog sees the ball and goes and picks it up I get all excited, give lots of praise then a quick game with the ball before repeating. Gradually the ball gets a little less obvious - e.g. rather than being in the middle of the room it will maybe be the other side of the dining room table. Then gradually (and depending on how enthusiastic the dog is and how quickly they pick up the game) the ball starts getting even harder to find - e.g. I might put it in their bed under the cushion.

I think it is very important that the game always remains fun and that you never make it too difficult so that the dog loses interest. As they progress, they will be prepared to search longer but if at any stage I see the dog losing interest, I start really encouraging them verbally and give them help, then lots of play when they find it, then one more easy one and call it a day for that session. Simillarly the game shouldn't be played too long - always leave them enthusiastic about the game.

Once they understand the 'find it' command with their toy, I switch to other things, e.g. my keys. I show them the object, let them smell it and again, start off fairly easy. Once they have found the object, they get praise and a treat or a game with a toy. I also teach the difference between 'find it' which means find it and pick it up and 'show me' which means find it, point it out to me, but don't touch it.

If the dog isn't toy orientated, you can use this method straight off. At first they won't really understand so you have to encourage them towards the object and then praise and treat. (if you clicker train, you would click when they go to the obect).

The game has also taught them both 'stay' - I don't need to shut them in a room now, they just have to stay where they are until I hide the object and then tell them to find it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 04:23 PM
I did almost exactly the same thing with bits of stinky food, havent progressed to toys yet but it does tire them out sniffing around for the food
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 04:38 PM
**First start with food , say a sausage, drop bits on the floor & say find it as he eats it

** Progress to hiding the food abit, let him see you hiding it at first, then make it harder so he cant see

** when hes used to looking under cushions around corners etc, get a small toy, put alot of your scent on it & scent of the sausage & encourage him to find it, as above, when he brings it back make alot of fuss then give him the treat!!!!

*** at the same sort of time as this (above in the house) you can start dropping a glove or knotted sock whilst out on walks & teach a seek back so hes tracking over the area youve walked on. This is a good game that can be done on or off the lead!

****once these games are going well, you could make a line of flower pots or small carboard "tents" & go back to dropping the food in a flower pot or under a tent.
*then use your article as above

****then try scenting up different articles such as car keys, Money, etc & see how you get on!!!

*** then try having two of the same article, hide one & let him try to find it by matching the scent off the other one!

Some ideas to try anyway!!!!
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I started by letting him see me hide treats while he was held on lead. Then I let him smell my hand and said seek. It didn't take long to get the idea
Next I did 'sit stays' in one room and quickly hid a toy in another . Rewarded him for staying and told him to seek.
Once we got good in the house I did the same on walks and just built it up.
Hiding smelly treats under flowerpots or cones came next and I let him sniff on lead and asked him to sit once I was sure he'd found the right one.
Chip got the idea of sitting to indicate right away, but Dale still tries to get at things So its a work in progress but a favourite game for my two.
Gypsum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I'll give these a go. I definitely need him trained to find my keys as I can't half the time.