View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kerrijane22
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2006, 11:23 AM

My sick puppy/any advice please? (multiple problems)With update .

[B][SIZE=5]MY SICK PUPPIE
Hi guys

Im a newbie.I have a king charles cavie called OBI who is the light of my life.....however we got him 3 weeks ago and he has not had the best of times......we had him at what we thought was 8 weeks......but he seems so small. we got him from a gent from wales.......! he was a bargain and we were assured he was pedigree, we may have been abit niave but when the bloke brought him to us we fell in love with him and took him straight to the vets for a once over...the vet said he was fine so we had him.....

He is great he sleeps all night does not cry, poops and wees exactly where he is supposed to. He has his own room and he seems so happy and knows he is loved. So anyway to get the problem, the first week he was dragging his bum an we took him the vets who said it was worms, so we wormed him. Over the next couple of days no worms appeared, and he seemed fine. The vet give us a stronger wormer, but again no worms. He stopped eating his food so we changed the his diet. thats when the diahrea started, now we took him back to the vets.......again. The vet recommeded dry food like egg and rice and that seemed to work. He went back to some new food which he liked and seemed brighter. He had his second injection and then he stared passing clear fluid with blood in which the vet said was collitus and he had got stressed out over the needle. so we gave him lots of love and it stopped.
But now he cam in saturday night and was coughing and retching, and bringing up clear fluid , after about the forth time of being sick we found abit of glass in his sick it was so small and there was no blood in his sick or poop and he started to be better and we let him sleep with us and he was fine all night. In the morning he was fine and wolfed down his food, and was chirpy playing all day long, however around six on the night he started coughing and retching again, being sick and could not keep his evening meal down. Again eventually he stopped, and went a little mental running around and playing and then changed and went all tired, slept all night and woke up this morning fine, and seemed to be looking for food so I gave him some scrambled egg without egg, which he wolfed down, but this morning he started crying and limping........

I have booked him in at the vets at tow this afternoon...but im not sure if this vet is any good ???????

here is a piccy of my little man, [IMG]OBI[/IMG]
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi kerryjane welcome to Dogweb ..sounds as if your puppy has got off to a bad start. Puppies sold as bargins seldom are, you make up the cost in vets bills
I cannot comment on your vet, perhaps he recognised you had purchased a sickly puppy and is doing his best.

When you worm a puppy you rarely see any worms.A bad worm infestation could make your puppy vomit.
I can't really tell the age of your puppy from the post, if it is under 12 weeks he should normally be on four small meals a day, do not let him gulp any food down if he has a poorly tummy . I would normally starve a sick dog but with a tiny puppy I would feed small amounts say a tablespoon every hour.
Here is a post that may help with feeding yor puppy
Not sure about the limp, until you can get to the vets keep the puppy warm and quiet. It is a good idea to put a hot water bottle in his bed (not too hot) wrapped in a towel to keep him warm..I hope he will be ok
kerrijane22
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:23 PM
thankyou so much for your advice and the quote, the puppy we think is 9 weeks old now.

and his limp, has stopped now, however he just sicked up his egg!!!!

im just gonna take him to the vets today
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by kerrijane22
thankyou so much for your advice and the quote, the puppy we think is 9 weeks old now.

and his limp, has stopped now, however he just sicked up his egg!!!!

im just gonna take him to the vets today
H kerrijane ..yes do take him to the vets, puppies can go down hill very fast when they become dehydrated. What I said about the small meals still applies but I would not feed the puppy anything if he has been sick again until you have seen the vet. If you have any honey in the house melt a little in some cool boiled water about a teaspoon to half a pint and give your puppy a teaspoon of the mixture every half hour if he keeps it down until you get to the vets...and keep him warm, if he is ill he will find it hard to maintain body heat. Good luck
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:33 PM
so he has had his 2nd jab before 9 weeks.....something is telling me his little body hasn't coped with those jabs
kerrijane22
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:37 PM
he has had his second jab.....cryed alot..... and according to the vet had abot of collitus from the jab......

So glad I recused him from where he came from it has now become obvious it was not a good place.......

he has been insured so I will make sure he gets everything sorted today....

and thanks about the advice with the honey.....

[img-big][img-big]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e362/kerrijane22/OBI.jpg[/img-big][/img-big]
he seems happy to be helping me......

has just been sick again though bless him.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:46 PM
oh, i hope obi will feel better soon. poor wee boy, he's lovely, so tiny
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:47 PM
do you have a pedigree for him ..the breeder would have given you this
ste.n.steph
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:52 PM
hun did the vet not say anything about him being so small? surely the vet wouldnt have give him the second jab if he was unsure
kerrijane22
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2006, 12:52 PM
thanks toby,
inca he gave me a slip of paper which the vet said was nonsense, really i should have took the dog back but i love him to much now.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »