View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Personally I can not see a problem Someone 100% healthy could cross the road and get killed, no-one knows when our time is up
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
I used to be a nurse on a kidney transplant unit and now work on a dialysis unit so have seen both sides to kidney failure. It's a difficult problem that can create many different health problems BUT if I really liked someone it woudn't deter me. Just be aware that it may not stay good as these things do sometimes fail...some sooner than others.
I think that if you really like someone and grow to love them then it really shouldn't be an issue.
Go for it
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 06:07 AM
I don't see there being a problem, it is forewarning of a problem and who knows what the future holds, just because of the knowledge it doesn't mean it could be any worse than the things that go wrong with the human body, heart attacks, strokes, broken limbs (that can lead to complications), accidents, just about anything....
You may be worried about the life expectancy but really there are so many hurdles in this thing called life, each day relationships are tested and what our bodies do or fail to do are just another one of those things in life that we have to deal with at some point.
I wouldn't let it hold you back in forming a relationship of any sort with anyone
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 06:19 AM
One if my friends had donated a kidney to her mum, and exists quite happily on one.

I wouldn't let it worry you, Nic

Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, all. Much appreciated. It's good to see what other people think of situations such as this one. Makes for better understanding, I think.

Yes, I understand that anyone could go out tomorrow and get knocked down and that you should live or the here and now, but it's my future as well and I would hate for it to be years down the line and for something to happen that I knew was going to happen...or not, as the case may be.

I admit that I do think about things a lot, that's just the way I am. Perhaps I really should just live in the here and now and get on with it!

Anyway, thanks again. You've all been great.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Nic, it wouldn't bother me one little bit. If you like the person go for it, IF and it is a massive IF the transplandt created problems or shortening of life years down the line then think of all the enrichment that person will have brought to your life until that time. Yes it would be sad but in my opinion a gamble worth taking it may not cause any bother at all and if you like the person enough to be asking the question then you inevitably will be richer for forming some sort of relationship or at least giving it a go.
Good luck hun
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 01:11 PM
It wouldnt bother me at all. It would only concern me if they were an alcoholic and had a liver replacement because they had 'pickled' the last one and were continuing to drink with the new one also. I wouldnt agree with that because i have strong views over that. But that doesnt sound the case from what you have said so it simply wouldne be a factor for me x
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Hiya Nic
I don't think it matters to be honest........
Nothing to do with transplants.......

But I only got with my OH 2 weeks before Christmas - him knowing I have cancer that wasn't responding to treatment - also knowing I probably wont be able to have kids if I do survive (something we both really want).
We've never really had a 'normal' relationship, as we generally can't go places due to me being ill, or too tired, or having a hospital appointmet etc.

He says he loves me, and it makes no difference to him!
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't think it would put me off- but I think as things got serious i would worry about him a lot, and worry about losing him, 15 years isn't a long time to be with your soulmate.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-06-2010, 05:47 AM
I agree with the others.

Yes you may lose someone sooner than you were hoping but they could enrich your life so much that they leave you with wonderful memories too live your days out by. Then on the other hand thy may live a full life and beat the odds, and you would have many many happy years together.

There is a saying and you will probably know it.

Better to of loved and lost than never to of loved at all.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >