View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
matthias
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Need Holiday Care For A Dog - complex...

Hello,

I hope someone can help me, I'm not really sure where else I can turn.

I have a GSD, and have had her now for 3 months. She belonged to a neighbour of my Grandad's, but they had to rehome her due to moving abroad, so my Grandad took her in. He's had her for the last few years, but since my nan died, and he's had to have operations on his hands and hips, he's found it impossible to walk her. He's not the type of person to ask for help, but when he called my mum to see whether she might be able to help, we knew something wasn't right. We went there, and the poor dog had long claws, and he admitted she hadn't been walked in weeks. She was overweight, but she's still gorgeous

Anyway, my Grandad said under no circumstances was he going to have her rehomed again, but we managed to coerce him into allowing her to come with me, for a "trial" - she's still here and happy as Larry.

Now, here lies the problem. We have holidays booked in May (week) and July (two weeks) and are really stressing about holiday care for her. I wouldn't want her in kennels, she needs her home comforts, and company. And I'll be honest and admit that we cannot afford a home boarder either. I know many of you will say that we shouldn't have taken her on if we couldn't afford things like holiday care, and that's a fair point, but my Grandad was suffering, she was suffering, and I believed I've helped them both out. She's losing weight, and it's honestly like we've never been without her. I don't want her to go back to my Grandad's, his health is suffering, and he has been in and out of hospital for the last two weeks, so it's too risky for her, and also too confusing for them both, I feel.

Obviously for next year, we won't book dog-unfriendly holidays, but we booked these a year ago, when we had no dogs, and no intention of having any - sometimes we're just landed with these things, but they are welcomed nonetheless

So, I wanted to know whether there are any dog swap care facilities (have registered on a site, but no one seems to want to look after a large dog), or anyone that does it for the love of dogs, and not money?? It's not that we're tight, but £14 per day is alot of money, and not something we're in a position to pay right now

She is a gorgeous dog, she's 5 and no trouble at all. She lives soundly with my cats, she's been around chickens, other dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs etc and she loves everything and everyone.

I really hope you experts may know of where I could get some help?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Awww what a quandry. I am guessing there are no family members that could help?
I would ask around local dog walkers and training clubs and vets. I know someone locally (nowhere near you) that does boarding once in a while but isn't insured etc so charges less than half the amount insured/registered people do, she is just a dog lover that enjoys doing it. I only know o her because of another dog owner...so it would be worth asking around locally. Perhaps in pet shops?
Just make sure you are totally happy with whoever you do get to take care of her..sure you will be.
matthias
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the response. There are no other family members in a position to have her, they are either working all day, or have other pets/commitments that mean they can't help.

I have put a notice up in my local pet shops, but no response as yet. What you described, is exactly the type of person I'm looking for. Something unofficial, but a dog lover nonetheless.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by matthias View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the response. There are no other family members in a position to have her, they are either working all day, or have other pets/commitments that mean they can't help.

I have put a notice up in my local pet shops, but no response as yet. What you described, is exactly the type of person I'm looking for. Something unofficial, but a dog lover nonetheless.
Have you asked your neighbours? Or local dog walkers? I would be careful about putting an ad in a shop window as you just never know who may see it and respond, when I said pet shop I meant ask the owners as they can be fountains of local dog knowledge.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 01:36 PM
That is a difficult situation. I hope you find someone to help.
I wish I could but too far away and Mia is not good with GSD'd
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 01:41 PM
What a sad story and I do feel for you and your granddad. If I lived nearer I would not hesitate hun.
Maybe someone on here that lives near you would be willing...maybe?
Sorry hun
Elaine xxx
Lupus
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I wish i could help, i love gsd's and would happily accomodate one free of charge for a couple of weeks...The best thing i would suggest is peaking to other dog walkers etc and asking what they do if they ahev to go away without the dogs, they may know someone who'll dogsit really cheap...other than that i'm afraid i have no suggestions, usually word of mouth is best
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Hi
I was going to PM you with the suggestion that you go on to the big GSD site and see if anyone can take the girlie for a short foster but I can`t PM a newbie and I can`t mention the other site because we`re not supposed to link to other forms.
So...can you PM me?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Hi
I was going to PM you with the suggestion that you go on to the big GSD site and see if anyone can take the girlie for a short foster but I can`t PM a newbie and I can`t mention the other site because we`re not supposed to link to other forms.
So...can you PM me?
dont think newbies can pm people til 22 posts or something like that...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 07:31 PM
oh well...BIGGSD then.