Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Would you ever live in a caravan?

would any of you ever live in a caravan?

im seriously contemplating it. at the minute i live at home. hate it and have been asked to leave numerous times.

there is no way on this earth i can afford to rent a house, and wouldnt want one in the middle of town anyway.

i have often come back to the idea of a caravan. i know a couple of people that do live in one, the idea doesnt bother me at all, in fact i quite like the idea.

ive thought about renting some that are already on sites, and another option is that my aunty and uncle have a caravan, which they dont really use, except for 2 weeks in the summer.. in which when they wanted it to go away i could house sit their house... which i could put on a site somewhere.

what do you think? would you ever live in a caravan? have you ever?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
I would never live in a caravan by choice

Cold
Noisy (sound of rain on roof like a machine gun)
having to empty toilette casette (or trek across a field)
If water pipes freeze, what you are going to do for shower

And most caravan sites close for a couple of months during winter and/or do not allow whole year living.

I am sure there are places where none of the above are a problem though........
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 08:57 PM
I was going to live in a caravan but jolly glad I didnt now although I did live in it part time.

Trust me, they are exceptionally cold (no matter how much you heat them they dont retain it), damp, draughty, noisy, they have alot of movement in winds and also when you simply walk up and down the interior. The one I was going to live in had a chemi-loo as we werent connected to the drains (not a pretty thing) and in winter the water supply was turned off completely by the farmer as the pipes froze. We had to rely on bottled water and of course, having a shower was impossible.

The other thing to consider is that you are not supposed to live in one for more than 10 months of the year (or something like that) due to council tax issues and TV licensing.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2012, 09:16 PM
I know where you're coming from but like others have said I think the appeal would wear off once living in one for a while. I knew a family (two adults three kids) who lived in a static and had an outside toilet, they did not enjoy living in it even though there were separate (very little) rooms.

Also know of someone who just slept in a caravan but used family house for shower / food / etc but don't know how long they did that for and think was partly because the house was so small!

Depends what you need more: Comfortable house with all the things you need or being out of your home!

Sophie
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Actually I dont think it would bother me Obviously with kids I wouldn't, but if it was just me on my own, then yes I would.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 09:21 PM
thanks for the replies

see one my friends lives in one, and it doesnt seem that different to a house in alot of ways. they do have proper plumbing in theirs though.

space wise wouldnt be much of an issue, there would only be me and the hounds they dont take up much room

i dont know at the minute... rather an idea thats appeared in my head after being asked to leave yet again!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Nope never. Especially with dogs. Cannot imagine how cramped and uncomfy it would be. Its bad enough for a holiday!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Nope never. Especially with dogs. Cannot imagine how cramped and uncomfy it would be. Its bad enough for a holiday!!
i love going on holiday in a caravan

me and the dogs practically live in one room anyway so i dont think i would be too bothered
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
The other thing to consider is that you are not supposed to live in one for more than 10 months of the year (or something like that) due to council tax issues and TV licensing.
Basically correct, although some sites allow 11 months.

One very important thing to understand is that there are two types of caravan park (a) Holiday parks where the residency is max 10 or 11 months and (b) Residential parks where you can stay 365 days a year.

A Park Home on a 'Holiday Park' can cost as little as £20K and are quite a big improvement on a 'normal' caravan, they can't be towed from place to place for a start but the site owner is God and he or she can sometimes impose a lot of restrictions (Like no pets) so you need to do your research carefully.

A Park Home on a 'Residential Park' will cost more but you can have a landline, mail, TV, and be registered for GP, in other words they are just like a bricks & mortar home, but the big snag is many of them have an age restriction which means you have to be over 50 to live there.

As mentioned above, long term living in a 'normal' caravan, (one which you can tow from place to place) does have problems, they are really only for hollidays and weekends away, but then we did have one Dogsey member who lived in a Transit van in a farmers field for two years and she had about ten dogs
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I dont actually think I would mind it too much!
It cannot be colder than my parents house which is a cave (we use duvets and hot water bottles ) It is something I briefly considered, but I think I am just going to have to live with spending all my money on rent (not going to be easy in london living alone!)
Come down south and we can have a cozy little house with the pooches !
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »