Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-03-2011, 09:42 AM

Police style dog training

what terminology would be used to search online, i am not talking about bite or restraining dogs but the more tracking and sniffer type (obviously not drugs or guns), do the police/MOD train in a specific way for these tasks and what books/equipment is needed and any courses in the Midlands.
Would like to further engage my springers brain and these seem like ideal past times.
Thank you.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Working Trials training is based on police dog training and you will find various courses all over the country.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:45 AM
schutzhund
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I was also going to suggest Working Trials, or even look up Tracking courses. Rod Roberts runs them, as does John Rogerson and I am sure others will too.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
Working Trials training is based on police dog training and you will find various courses all over the country.
I believe that means joining the KC which i am not happy to do or are there non KC affiliated clubs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
schutzhund
Schutzhund is primarily protection work. They do train Schutzhund style tracking too, but it sounds like Astle wants his springer to learn to track and search (more akin to WT or SAR).
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I was also going to suggest Working Trials, or even look up Tracking courses. Rod Roberts runs them, as does John Rogerson and I am sure others will too.
Thank you i will look into tracking.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I used to compete in working trials with my german shepherd who was KC registered but I don't know if it is a requirement. If you just want to train and not compete you could check with one of the trainers.

Sheila Bailey does various training courses in Derbyshire.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
I used to compete in working trials with my german shepherd who was KC registered but I don't know if it is a requirement. If you just want to train and not compete you could check with one of the trainers.

Sheila Bailey does various training courses in Derbyshire.
True i guess most clubs would allow you to train and not compete i will look into it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
I believe that means joining the KC which i am not happy to do or are there non KC affiliated clubs.
Don't know about your area but the place that did the puppy classes I attended with my last dog does working trials and mentions nothing about the dog needing to be KC registered. From their website "Working dog trials*can be a great way of getting the best out of your dog. It incorporates agility/obedience/scent exercises. It does not have to be for competition and most breeds can be included."

I imagine the KC thing is if you go on to competition level but if you're doing it for fun then you should be fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >