Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by royv
So your setup goes like this:

Win98 PC ----> Win XP PC ----> Broadband modem ----> Internet ???

If so, you'll need to use Internet Connection Sharing to allow the Win 98 PC to access the internet via the Win XP PC.

Yes i had set up the internet connection sharing on th XP pc, but I'm stuck how to do it on the 98 machine.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-09-2005, 05:12 PM
Have a look here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Also, your Firewall software may block communications between the PCs, so you will probably need to put the PC's IP addresses into the Trusted computers zone of the firewalls.

ICS usually gives the "server" PC the IP address, 192.168.0.1 and the second PC is usually assigned 192.168.0.2
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Thank You so much Roy. I havent' managed to get anywhere near the pc till now (roll on Monday when the little darlings are back at school). I'll have another go using your advice and will update. Thanks again to all who have given advice.

Amanda
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Do the following to ping:

start
run
cmd
ping
then type the ip address in

It will either time out or respond

If you don't know your ip address:

start
run
cmd
ipconfig

The ip address will show on the right hand side of the screen
have typed ipconfig into Run and it does something, but then the box dissappears (on the win98 machine
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 06:58 PM
If you map a netweork drive, how do I find out what drive the other machine will be? It's only starting from E:\ and the winXP machine is a C:\
getting confused with this thing now.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Have a look here:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

according to that website, it's supposed to be so easy... suppose it always is when you know what you are doing.

Also, your Firewall software may block communications between the PCs, so you will probably need to put the PC's IP addresses into the Trusted computers zone of the firewalls.

ICS usually gives the "server" PC the IP address, 192.168.0.1 and the second PC is usually assigned 192.168.0.2
Have entered the IP address you gave here and still it won't access the old pc.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Windows 98 doesn't use IPCONFIG

Use:

winipcfg

This should give you the details in a window (as opposed to the DOS-type text)
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Windows 98 doesn't use IPCONFIG

Use:

winipcfg

This should give you the details in a window (as opposed to the DOS-type text)

Cheers Roy it has given me the IP address of the network card and the default gatewy. Is this what I am supposed to put into the firewall?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
If you map a netweork drive, how do I find out what drive the other machine will be? It's only starting from E:\ and the winXP machine is a C:\
getting confused with this thing now.
You're confused ? You're not the only one!

I am going to assume that you have shared a folder on each PC. (You can share a whole drive, but to all intents, it behaves the same as if you shared a folder)

So if say there's a shared folder on the XP machine called mystuffXP and a shared folder on the Win98 machine called mystuff98, you should be able to browse the network and (if it's working), see both PCs in the network places/neighborhood. If you are on the Win98 machine and you open the WinXP one in Network Neighborhood, you should see a folder called mystuffXP.
If you have a C-drive (hard disk), and an optical drive D, mapping the shared folder as a drive will make the folder called mystuffXP, E-drive on your Win98 computer (assuming you don't have any other drives on your Win98 PC). If you open up My Computer you will see an E-drive , which should contain all the files/folders you have on your mystuffXP folder.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2005, 07:34 PM
You're confused ? You're not the only one!

I am going to assume that you have shared a folder on each PC. (You can share a whole drive, but to all intents, it behaves the same as if you shared a folder)

So if say there's a shared folder on the XP machine called mystuffXP and a shared folder on the Win98 machine called mystuff98, you should be able to browse the network and (if it's working), see both PCs in the network places/neighborhood. If you are on the Win98 machine and you open the WinXP one in Network Neighborhood, you should see a folder called mystuffXP.
If you have a C-drive (hard disk), and an optical drive D, mapping the shared folder as a drive will make the folder called mystuffXP, E-drive on your Win98 computer (assuming you don't have any other drives on your Win98 PC). If you open up My Computer you will see an E-drive , which should contain all the files/folders you have on your mystuffXP folder.

Ah, this is the problem then cos when I open network neighbourhood on the 98 machine, it comes up with nothing. Empty box!

On the XP machine, it comes up with both pc's
Lets face it Roy, I've just b****ered it up haven't I?
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »