View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Teeeheee loving the tales of the crazy rabbits!!!

BB, don't know how helpful this is for you, but I taught the crazy ginger one to "settle" simply by clicking and treating whenever he lay down, then tied it to a hand signal/word, and gradually increased the duration he was to stay like this. He will now happily settle for oh, at least all of 0.3 seconds!!! I jest, it does actually work x
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

BB, don't know how helpful this is for you, but I taught the crazy ginger one to "settle" simply by clicking and treating whenever he lay down, then tied it to a hand signal/word, and gradually increased the duration he was to stay like this. He will now happily settle for oh, at least all of 0.3 seconds!!! I jest, it does actually work x
This is what I've done too! Molly was an absolute nightmare up until about a year ago and teaching her a command ('settle') gave her something to focus on which ended up helping to calm her down! If it didn't work (Which it sometimes doesn't, it's hard to get their focus when they're having a mad half hour!), we removed all the 'stimulating' things, whether they were us or her toys, until she was calm. As soon as she was calm, she was treated and given lots of (calm) praise and fuss

At the end of the day, it's all about finding out what works for you and your wiggly puppy
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

I once had a rabbit like that - we called him Basil the Psycho.
I was told he would calm down if castrated.

Not true - it seemed to really pix him off and he got worse!
Must have been related to a rabbit I had called Dante. Local RSPCA couldnt find a home for him cos he was a headcase and most people couldn't handle him, so I volunteered (blo**y idiot) Sorry BB not very much help but its good to see that its not only dogs that give us problems.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Lily's zoomies imitate the wall of death around the house - she's absolutley barmy, all the other dogs head for their cages and cover

I love to see her enjoying herself but then she goes too far and starts trying to nip at the other dogs and us even telling her NO which she knows or walking away doesn't work, just makes her worse and more determined So I wait for her to fly past and hold her still, I don't pin her down just stop her from running off and gently speak to her and stroke her belly and she comes back down to normal puppy play mode If I don't stop her she just carries on and gets worse

Can't wait to get her into gundog training to give her something to focus on rather than causing trouble I've been really lucky with her in lots of ways, as a puppy she's probably been one of the easiest to housetrain and train in general, so far she's not chewed anything she wasn't supposed to and she's usually really respectful towards the other pooches and is learning loads of doggy etiquette from them Except for her manic moments that is they don't happen often but I think she needs to learn some self control sooner rather than later
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

She knows clicker = food, it doesn't matter what kind, anything edible is fine with her When she's manic there's not a chance I'm getting her to lay down, I know it's just puppyness (!) mixed with cockerness ( ) or should I say cockiness but she needs to learn some self control
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Perhaps pop her on a lead when she gets over excited?
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Getting her to do some simple training is exactly what you should do.
When dogs get all hyped up, the left side of their brain is in gear ( the emotional reactive side ) what you want is to get her using the right cognitive side ( the sensible thinking side ). So simply getting her to do a few sits/downs etc, will engage the right side and should at least open her to more sensible behaviour.
If she's really bad, once you've got her off the ceiling, I'd give her some sort of puzzle to keep her thinking, stuffed Kong might do.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 09:31 PM
phoebe would drive us nuts with her giddy puppy antics and she was hardly small so having her bound round like tigger on speed was not much fun. ild get her to me and rub her ears between my fingers and she would be a sleep in no time - still works aswell
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
phoebe would drive us nuts with her giddy puppy antics and she was hardly small so having her bound round like tigger on speed was not much fun. ild get her to me and rub her ears between my fingers and she would be a sleep in no time - still works aswell
In people, gently but firmly pulling back and down on the ear lobe releases endorphins, I've always suspected it works for dog's too, I've yet to meet a dog that didn't enjoy an ear massage.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 10:51 PM
is there anyway you can calm her down before she gets too OTT?

Like when she looks like she might just pick her up, no eye contact or fuss and just hold her and wait till she's calm? and just keep on repeating?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >