Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Cyprus Poodle!!

Just been looking on my local rehoming centres web page and they have s few Cyprus Poodles : http://www.mayflowersanctuary.co.uk/...-animals/dogs/

Are they a breed or a type of dog as there seems to be a lot of differences between them ?

Cute little things though
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2012, 01:11 PM
It looks like the shelter do a lot of rehoming from Cyprus, that's probably what they mean
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
It looks like the shelter do a lot of rehoming from Cyprus, that's probably what they mean
No, it's not. there are dogs known as Cyprus Poodles. From what I could gather looking into them a few years ago they're a poodle/terrier cross. Someone I knew had one and I'd never heard of them so went looking for info but couldn't really find much.

I gathered it was a type of dog, bit like a lurcher in that you can get different looks, coats etc depending on what exactly is in there but as I say, couldn't find a lot of info about them.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2012, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
No, it's not. there are dogs known as Cyprus Poodles. From what I could gather looking into them a few years ago they're a poodle/terrier cross. Someone I knew had one and I'd never heard of them so went looking for info but couldn't really find much.

I gathered it was a type of dog, bit like a lurcher in that you can get different looks, coats etc depending on what exactly is in there but as I say, couldn't find a lot of info about them.
How weird, there is a wiki on them as well. Never heard of them before, surely they should be called 'cypriot poodles'? The wiki says they are terrier/poodle crosses native to Cyprus as you say, although there are already lots of 'jackapoos' and so on around.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2012, 02:13 PM
I can assure you from here in Cyprus they are called 'Cyprus Poodles' and they do vary a bit in appearance and size. The island is overrun with them (strays) and, until quite recent years, almost every 'pet dog' was a Cyprus Poodle. Rescue Centres are full of them.

Most Cypriots keep dogs for hunting (they do not have a good life). Most (usually older) Cypriots don't like dogs even very young Cypriot children will start 'kicking out' at your dog as you approach them.

Fancy and status dogs seem to be becoming more popular now. It is not unusual to have a Cypriot pull out a roll of notes and ask if you want to sell them your dog! (As if!)

These Cyprus Poodles are quite long lived and seem very smart. (Editing to say some express the view that Cyprus Poodles must be 'Lanate Resistant' - if you know anything about pet poisoning in Cyprus - you will understand)

When I was in Malta I saw the same sort of dogs there - lots of farmers had them running about with them on their farms.