View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 10:37 AM
She was fine, she had been sold on pretty quickly as a family pet, that was two families upset by the experience.
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Someone did try to steal my small dog when a puppy, probably to eat as it was a Burmese immigrant with a machete. My bil's maltese was stolen so he got an Akita. I'd like to see someone steal him!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 10:59 AM
The one major upside of owning a dog who is terrified of strangers (and not in a submissive way) is that you have no worries whatsoever of him being stolen!

I often leave mine in the car in the Winter when out and about, but then I've seen the reaction my dogs give strangers and it isn't pretty. Isla makes a lot of noise but could be persuaded by a nice juicy steak. However with Oscar in the car the steak wouldn't even get as far as being produced, he appears vicious enough to put the vast majority of people off entering without consent!

That said I do worry about my parents dogs, one an adult ESS and the other a 5 month old Lab, both very friendly and welcoming of strangers. They often leave them in the car when supermarket shopping and I'm trying my hardest to make them realise that it only takes a second to break in and take off with the dogs. Would you leave nearly £1,400 visible in your car whilst out shopping? I know I wouldn't!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't worry about it to be honest. I think it's because we are in a safe place. We live in the type of place that tou can leave cars and front doors open etc. where we walk we don't see many people from outside the area. Plus if anyone took my dogs they are quite easy to recognise just by looks so I don't think they would have them for long. Daph doesnt go very far and they both have a reliable recall. If we go to places that are busier, I'm a bit more wary, not because they may get stolen but becausebi don't know whats about so I tend to put them on leads when we go passed people anyway.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 11:25 AM
No. because...
Daisy would bite them
No-one knows what Shamus is.
Raz would run away
and Prince is a cross.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Thankfully Phoebe cant bear to be away from me and seams quite scared of losing while out. Somebody tried walking off with her about 4 years ago he clipped a lead on her and started walking off. i just called her and ran away and she was soon behind me with the thiefing scum on his ass behind us the temptation to run back to him and kick him in the head was soo tempting but i just thanked my lucky stars and got phoebe back to the car.

Phoebe is now quite nervy and avoids strangers, plus off lead is only ever in deserted places now but this is mainly because of her behaviour than fear of her being stolen
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 05:33 PM
I dont think my dogs would be stolen from the garden even though they spend most of the day out there unsupervised. The way Jed behaves to any strangers coming to the gate is surely enough to put anybody off, you definitely wouldnt want to mess with him. None of my dogs are friendly at the gate, all 3 are wary.

I dont leave them tied up anywhere so they couldnt be stolen that way. When they are out they stay away from people and if anybody tried to take Flynn (prob the friendliest out of the bunch) he would soon kick up a stink and let me know.

Generally, no, I dont worry about my dogs being stolen because I dont think it would be easy for somebody to do.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
I have never had a KC reg dog before Ishka. People are always staring at her when we are out. I know dog theft is rampent at the moment, Ruby the Bull Terrier was stolen just up the road from me. Also my friends dog was stolen a while back, some asked to stroke her and bent down, unclipped the lead and legged it. She couldnt catch him I dont live in the worst area of Liverpool but I dont lie in the best either. I try not to walk my dogs local. I think I will worry less when she's bigger and cant so easily be carried. Does anyone else worry or am I over thinking it.
I do not worry about my dogs being stolen at all, neither do I worry about my car being stolen, my handbag being stolen or my house being burgled.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:10 PM
I don't worry about my car being stolen, even when I had a flash one, or my handbag.

They are easy replaced.

I did not worry too much about the things stolen from my house except my dog. The others were just things.

But now it has happened and I have felt the pain I would not want to go through it again.

I never thought it would happen with the dogs I had in the house.

It was horrible to see Millie when she had been well kicked and they had used the child gate (I believe by her reaction when I picked it up) to hurt her and lock her ina hot conseratory.
So now I worry
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:12 PM
i never worry about anyone trying to steal opie because we always have the gate padlocked to make sure oh's mam can't go wandering(she has dementia). good luck to anyone trying to pick him to throw him over as he's funny about us picking him up, a stranger would have no chance. if he sees anyone strange near the gate he likes to let them know he's there, so most people cross over to avoid him, or cut throw a gap in the trees to get to the back lane next to the gate. i don't walk him into town if i need anything from the shops. i couldn't tie him up outside if i wanted to as he would chew his lead to escape.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >