Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2010, 09:18 PM

Riding schools

I might be starting to learn soon (only been waiting 15 years or so ) but being a complete novice I'm unsure of what to look for in a riding school. There aren't any BHS approved places near enough to me that I can see (not sure if that's important or not anyway!), but there are plenty of livery yards that offer lessons. Any info on what to look for, what kind of prices are reasonable etc would be most welcome
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I would be bothered about insurances, qualifications of teachers, numbers in a class, variety of horses, facilities for hacking,jumping etc and whether they have am all round facility or will lessons be cancelled if ground becomes frozen.We pay £25 for a 30 minute private lesson but group lessons are £18 for up to ten riders for an hour....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Agree with above. At the very least I`d want a qualified instructor (BHSAI is fine) and evidence of insurance.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 08:02 AM
I basically agree with everything Fudgeley has already said. The riding school I used until recently (unfortunately haven't the time to continue at the moment ) was £33 for an hour's private lesson.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 08:23 AM
I think starting off I would be wanting a BHSAI approved place and riding a horse thats not your own you would need that insurance cover they have.
However saying that when I had my own horses the best two instructors I have ever had in my life were not qualified but very very good and experienced and taught you the best way to ride "Your" horse not just basic one fits all.
For the basics though certainly nothing but BHSAI approved.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Agree with all the above and an import thing is to go and have a look around the place before commiting to anything. A dirty yard is a sign of a lazy school and not one you should be going to. It also helps to give you a feel for the place.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy it, there is nothing quite like riding x
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Agree with all the above and an import thing is to go and have a look around the place before commiting to anything. A dirty yard is a sign of a lazy school and not one you should be going to. It also helps to give you a feel for the place.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy it, there is nothing quite like riding x
Definitely! And also it gives you an idea of how friendly/helpful the staff are. I visited one school on spec and wasn't at all happy with the state of the place, or how unfriendly (and young!) all the "staff" were. I then went on to a BHS school in the same area and was made to feel very welcome, the yard was clean and horses all looked well looked after, the owner and main riding instructor was happy to answer all my questions and tell me more about what I could expect.

So definitely agree to going along to different school to just have a look around and ask a few questions before booking a lesson.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Definitely! And also it gives you an idea of how friendly/helpful the staff are. I visited one school on spec and wasn't at all happy with the state of the place, or how unfriendly (and young!) all the "staff" were. I then went on to a BHS school in the same area and was made to feel very welcome, the yard was clean and horses all looked well looked after, the owner and main riding instructor was happy to answer all my questions and tell me more about what I could expect.

So definitely agree to going along to different school to just have a look around and ask a few questions before booking a lesson.
Definitely! When i was younger and more serious about my riding my mum heard of this really good shcool. So we went along to have a look and the yard was spotless, the equipment was amazing, the horses were top class for a riding school and all the instuctors had all the right quailifications. People that went there often did very well at events ect BUT they were SO snotty and up there own backsides i turned around and went back to my little school instead (this had nothing to do with the fact i had a huge crush on my sexy riding instrutor either ). I would rather be happy and ok then unhappy but good.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys, complicated isn't it I think I will see if I can possibly go for one of the BHSAI places after all, and if not will have a look round the more local ones with a list of questions to ask