Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Getting a Kitten XD!!!

Hello all!!

As some of you may know from the general chat i was planning on getting a puppy once i move into a house. Well that looks to be a while away now and i really want a pet here at the apartment so OH has finally agreed to let me have a kitten im so excited

I've called RSPCA and the Cats Protection today and both have kittens in so i will be going to see them this weekend at some point

I did ask about adopting an older cat as i want to rescue and not buy from a breeder and RSPCA said they dont have any house cats available at the moment (due to being in an apartment) and the CP said they only have two in at the moment and they have to be housed together they're beautiful been brought over from America been de-clawed and ones a tabby and the other a silver/grey both about 7 years old they're gorgeous but i dont think OH will let me have two He really wants a kitten as well.

What will i need to have here ready once i bring one home... i know litter tray, bed, food + water bowls, food, scratch pole, toys, collar... what else will i need?

Will be microchipped once old enough and neutured but until then i know it will need another injection at 4 months... will it need one yearly as well? And also wormed and flead several times a year?

Thanks for any information you can give me been a while since we had some as a child... so excited xxx
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi there... that is really exciting!

Looks like you have just about everything covered. I would advices that you also buy some plasters - as their claws and teeths are like needles - and from experience, climbing your legs like a tree is much more fun to a kitten than any toy! It will probably take a liking to your feet too!! They are so much fun when they are kittens!

My cats all had their injections when we got them and then a booster about a month later - then it is an annual vaccination. When they are kittens, they need worming more regularly than when they are grown up. Our cats are de-flead every 6 weeks because of the mild weather down here. Now that they are grown up, they get dewormed every three months.

Your should get more specific details from wherever you finally get your kitty from and a vet will be able to advise too.

Good luck on your search this weekend... and let us know if you find your perfect kitty!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Thank you for your reply!

Ah yes how could i forget plasters hehe my two kittens i had when i was younger used to double team me, one distract me from the front whilst the other attack me from behind!

Yeah both rescues have said they will be up to date with current injections but will need another at 4 months and then i will get one yearly

I assume which rescue i go with will provide an information sheet with regards to worming and fleaing and will let me know which food they have been feeding the kittens on and if i need to keep that up.

I have to wait until monday now as OH hasnt got a car today or tomorrow but i'm going to visit both on monday but i know which ever one i go to first ill fall in love with one there

I know the RSPCA has two black boys and the CP protection have quite a few in but i was on the phone to the lady at CP for half an hour and she was asking questions and giving advice and is getting the adoption manager to call me back.... RSPCA just said we have two male black kittens come and see them before they get reserved ... might visit the CP first me thinks

Shall keep you posted!! No doubt when i get one pictures will be added!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Awww, am thrilled you are getting a kitten - it will be so nice for you to both have a pet.

Lovely to hear you are getting one from a shelter, there are so many of them wanting homes, am sure you will find the right one soon.

Your excitement is palpable!!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2010, 04:29 PM
Spoke to another man at the CP who decided we couldn't have a kitten so went to the RSPCA today and fell in love with a little black male but I was told he had been part reserved and the people had to call in today by the time they shut or we would become the first reserve and would have to take our deposit in on Wednesday. Waited for the call and at 355 they still hadn't called and the lady said she would ring me and hasn't so have to wait until wednesday when they open now to find out but I'm working so quite stuck will have to see if the OH had a few spare moments to go and put the £10 down if they didn't call in :/ very annoying the one day I'm working all week haha
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Why were you turned down by CP? It's so frustrating sometimes isn't it? Fingers crossed for the little black one for you. I adore black cats (have 2 myself ) Really hope you get him just so I can drool over the pics
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh the cp turned us down for years n years for kittens! Terriers kill kittens and cats dont you know, and a cul-de-sac neighbouring a fairly bus road is a death trap. I have three cats now, and we've always had at least two round the house and they've always been fine!
Sounds harsh but I think with cats it IS important not too coo and quaffer over their needs too much, cat's are simple creatures and like simple things! All mine have preffered towers built out of boxes, and home made pompoms then anything else! I also don't believe vaccinating past initial puppy/kitten vaccs n neither do my family, all our pets have lived to ripe ages with seldom vet visits -touch wood-!
Good luck cats are superior creatures!
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Why were you turned down by CP? It's so frustrating sometimes isn't it? Fingers crossed for the little black one for you. I adore black cats (have 2 myself ) Really hope you get him just so I can drool over the pics
The guy said he didn't want a kitten to live in an apartment they should be able to go out and do what they want and to call him back when we've bought a house.
Silly man

I really hope we get him too will find out tomorrow and then they'll arrange a home visit so I hope we pass that as well And then if I do they'll be plenty of pictures on here
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Hope that you manage to get the little black kitten, if not though look in your inbox
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jadey View Post
The guy said he didn't want a kitten to live in an apartment they should be able to go out and do what they want and to call him back when we've bought a house.
Silly man

I really hope we get him too will find out tomorrow and then they'll arrange a home visit so I hope we pass that as well And then if I do they'll be plenty of pictures on here
I didnt go to the CPL - was talking to one of their home checkers in the vets and mentioned I lived near a busy road and was told the cat would have to be a "house cat" then - dosent quite tie in with what you were told does it. That is what annoys me with some rescues, non consistency and they wonder why they end up with so many animals not homed

We got our muchkins through a private rescue - 2 1/2 hours journey from us He was worth the wait [booked when couple days old] and the long drive. Big bonus was the fact at 8 weeks he was already litter trained.

I odnt know about anyone elses but our boy is so fast - like a mini tornado.

Ask your vet about spacing the vaccines over 3 visits as opposed to 2. Our boy took a very bad reaction to the second vaccs. If I knew then [last week] what I knew now I would defo ask them spread out a bit more.

Having a kitten is better than watching TV and I feel I must warn you, they are real time wasters

The dogs are fantastic with them and he can be so naughty - he is a very tiny kitten and looks even tinier beside our dogs [Boxers] he hooks his tiny paw round their legs and nips them to get them to play and chase him

Good luck - hope to hear soon you have your new little girl/boy. We are so taken/smitten we are going to get another one, if not this year, then next summer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >