Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 08:40 AM

Treadmills

Has anyone experience of using a treadmill?

I used one a few years back when I used to go to the gym regularly and I want to get one for using at home but am a bit flummoxed by all the spiel about them.

Because Leon tends to potter about on his walks, we do walk about 3-4 miles a day split over 3-4 walks but they aren't at a fast pace. My weight is really starting to worry me, added to my cartiledge problem, I thought it would be a good idea to get one so that I can try to get into shape but at a pace to suit my body and my leg. It would also be beneficial to me after I have had my op and get the all clear to start walking again. Clive would also use it as he wants to get fit on it and eventually be able to run on it.

We've seen different ones advertised, from non-motorised to motorised, from £50 to over £1000. We are happy to spend around £200 to get something sturdy and that is going to do the job, but we don't really have a clue what to go for and whether we are getting ideas above our station with our budget.

Anyone got any advice?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 09:04 AM
we have a full gym in the garage, we have a motorised treadmill, I have used the non motorised ones to, but prefer the motorised ones, they tend to keep you going at a set speed, with the non motorised ones there is nothing pushing you on, IYKWIM,

Is it for you hun? I have to admit, I tend not to use them, I get bored, have you considered yoga? or pilates{sp?} that could be great for you, thats the route im heading down now.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
we have a full gym in the garage, we have a motorised treadmill, I have used the non motorised ones to, but prefer the motorised ones, they tend to keep you going at a set speed, with the non motorised ones there is nothing pushing you on, IYKWIM,

Is it for you hun? I have to admit, I tend not to use them, I get bored, have you considered yoga? or pilates{sp?} that could be great for you, thats the route im heading down now.
Thanks Shona

It is for me, my weight is getting really bad, the docs won't give me any medication for my thryoid and hormones until they have tested my bloods again in June...thats if I'm still here then as I'm convinced I'm going to have a heart attack or something if I don't get on top of this.

I can't do any other form of exercise because of my knee and the cartiledge problem, hopefully I will be a lot more active after my op, but thats really holding me back too.

The Pilates and Yoga sounds good, but I have to do something drastic to try to get my weight down
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 09:32 AM
would constantly pounding on a treadmill not make your knee worse?
how about swimming?

treadmills can cost a bit and end up doing nothing but gathering dust in a corner or maybe thats just in this house...{garage}

do you have a local gym you could go to for a week or two, try using the treadmill there? see how you feel about it before splashing out cash on one?