Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
simshady
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Dumped young Rottie/shepherd Cross - Please Help

I rescued a young (teenage or so) rottie/shepherd cross on Wednesday - he had been dumped by his owners. You can tell he had been well looked after before being dumped.

He sat there patiently from when he was first sighted at 11am until I finally found him and took him home at about 7pm - it was freezing cold but he hadn't moved an inch.

Problems with the Blackwall Tunnel had meant that when I contacted the local council to report him, the on call officer was stuck in Kent so we arranged that I take him home for a few hours until the officer could come back to the pound and I could take him there.

When I took him, she advised that they would keep him for a few days only, in case the owners claimed him (obvious that isn't going to happen), and that they would then most likely put him down after that (she said that most rescue centres would not take him because he was a cross breed/what he was crossed with/that he was such a big dog). She told me that the couple she knew of that would consider the breed had 6 month waiting lists and that the only possibility was BDH who probably wouldn't take him either.

I don't think they have the time and resources to contact smaller rescue centres (which I do). Please, does anyone know if there are any rescue centres who may take in such a large dog crossed with those breeds?

In the few hours that I spent with him, I found that he is very obedient and well mannered - we taught him to "sit" within an hour. Although he was very stressed and confused, his soft temperament and personality shone through. He is one of the most friendly and trusting dogs I have met - and so loyal to have sat on the pavement for 8 freezing hours, not moving an inch, waiting for his owner. He is so gentle and obedient and would make such a lovely companion. He really is a gentle giant and I am desparate to get in touch with anywhere that may be able to take him in for rehoming.
I'm terrified that he is likely to be put down. I would have kept him in a heartbeat but we already have a rescue dog who is very territorial and she would not allow another dog to stay.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance

PS I took some pictures of "Charley" - please let me know if you would like to see them
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Have you actually contacted BDH? They do have waiting lists but these usually only apply to people wanting to 'gift' their dog to the home, not strays. With regards to the breed cross, they don't operate a selective intake policy and rehome many many rottie/GSD crosses.
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I have the 'found' line number for BDH if you want it.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 09:05 AM
How can people do this? It stuns me, it really does.

Thank you for taking in this poor lad. Hope you get him rehomed quickly - he deserves so much more than his previous treatment.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I do hope someone can help him, I once had an Aussie ShepherdxRottie and he was so loyal and very big, but a true gentle giant.
Unfortunately I cannot have him as my dog would not tolerate another male in the house.
Keeping my fingers crossed for him, I like Vicki really do not understand how people can just dump them like that.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 10:39 AM
What about Dogs Trust? Poor boy to be dumped like that and even more heartbreaking that he was waiting for his owners to return.

Would love to see him. x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Bless you for taking that poor chap in. I have pm`d you a couple of links that might help.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 11:39 AM
aaargh it won`t let me - I think you need more posts or something. Can you pm me?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
aaargh it won`t let me - I think you need more posts or something. Can you pm me?
I don't think she can PM 'til she's made over 20 posts!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 01:10 PM
OK then - if you google Dog Rescue forums (can I say that?) and also get in touch with the Breed rescues (I know of at least one GSD rescue that helps crosses) you might be able to get help. Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >