View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Has this not all been done to death ages ago or have i dreamt it?
and stan longwinded does not = right!!
CBT
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 10:05 AM
again i think your a bit presumptious stan, we are ALL worrried about the implications for staffies and other bull breeds in this country, read back through some of the threads about BSL and you will see that many bull breed owners are deeply concerned.
At the end of the day none of us are politicians, we can lobby and we can protest and voice our concerns but at the end of the day politicians go ahead and push stupid laws through regardless of what people feel!! take hunting as a prime example, thousands of people marched through London, Edinburgh and other cities across Britain to voice their concerns about hunting being banned, i was there, I marched with pride, I lobbied MPs I wrote letters, I organise petitions, and what happened? they went ahead and banned it anyway, despite the fact thousands of peoples way of life will be seriously affected by a hunting ban
so I have very little faith in politicians and the people who get to make our countries rules and laws.
I believe that the greatest service we can do our bull breeds is to promote them as much as possible, post pics of them with other dogs and children, show people that they are loving dogs not monsters, we owe it to our dogs to make sure they are friendly and well behaved and trained and when people meet us, our dogs are under control and not aggressive. the best service we can do our dogs is to make sure people see them in a good light and if just a few peoples views are changed then its a small victory!

I may not be an "expert" dog trainer or anything like that, but in my small part of the world, people admire my dogs and often comment how lovely they are and how well trained they are. I often walk several together at a time and they are well behaved, I get lots of comments from people saying they wish their dogs were as well behaved, so thats MY way of fighting the threat of BSL, it may not be much Stan, but its good enough for me!
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by CBT
Stan if you continually come across as pompous then no one is going to be interested in what you say, its not a case of having blinkers on, its a case of not wishing to read through lengthy posts where your sole aim seems to be making yourself appear more of an "expert" than anyone else, the thing is your ust making yourself look silly because NO one on here is an "expert" (cept you of course ) were just ordinary everyday dog lovers trainers and breeders who like to share our experiences.

I would truly love to see you tell the exact breeding of a line up of crossbred dogs, because people in rescue centres often struggle to see what breeds are in dogs that come in off the streets, some that come in have so many breeds in them they can only be described as a mongrel.

If you can tell what cross a dog is just by looking at it then you must have a special gift cos the majority of us can usually only hazard an educated guess.

I have mentioned a few pointers which can help you tell if a dog has American pitbull in its close ancestry, but even these arent infallible as by its very nature, the american pitbull comes in many shapes and forms, you have the lithe muscular terrier working types, you have the big blocky types bred for size, and you have all the others in between. they sport various ear carriages, although drop ears are the norm, the rose type ears seen on staffies and irish type staffs are sometimes seen too, as are the button type that flop forward. The head shape is also variable depending on the way the dog is bred.

So to say you can tell a dogs breeding just by looking at it is a very sweeping statement to make and one I hope you never have to prove as it was people with presumptious attitudes and disdain for these breeds that got the likes of Otis the great dane cross and other non pitbull crosses put to sleep when the DDA was at its peak
I studied in America for 18 months I know exactly what a APBT looks like. because I deal with dogs every day of the week I can tell any breed just by looking at it, and nearly every cross.
Badly written I admit, should read I can tell any pedigree breed just by looking at and the crosses would only normally involve 1st or second cross. I admit to that error. However i am often called into rescue societies for instance Dogs in Need to assimilate the cross for them it just happens to be a little talent I have after working with dogs for well in excess of 25 years. I know what a stafford should look like and I know what a APBT should look like and I know what a cross between the two generally looks like I don't require DNA testing to tell me that.

Stan
CBT
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by DonDon
bawbag!!
don don much as I like your terminology ( ) I dont think thats really very helpful mate
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Stan do you have a smart answer for everything?

The reason I have not replied to your questioning is because you’re obviously here to stir things up and for that reason alone I wont add fuel to your fire.

So far today I have had 3 private messages of people who I do not know to say that you do this kind of thing a lot (stirring things up being condescending etc) and then threaten legal action whenever somebody bites back. Well for that reason I will not be replying, you try to make others feel small by making yourself look big and that is rather sad actually. This was never supposed to be as personal I was shocked at certain statements you made because they were ridiculous and you then started to be condescending. Yes I replied quite harshly but I say what I think & think what I say, completely different from what you were doing.
craig
Dogsey Junior

04-03-2005, 10:13 AM
there has been a threat to bull breeds ever since the DDA where i had my pit bull taken away, but got it back through the courts, (luckly) but it is down to the general puplics perception of the breed, not the dogs themselves, and it is very hard to change their views
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Come on folks think it might be a good time for everone to take a break and to go and count to a hundred its easy to get carried away trying to prove a point we all do it ops: tea anyone Staffy has gone for the cakes...
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 10:16 AM
can i count inside cos its actually snowing here at last!
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 10:16 AM
can i just ask something (i dont want to get drawn into this debate )

How come, if staffs are sooo dog aggressive, do most Staff owners on this board, have more than one dog living in perfect harmony ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by katyb
can i count inside cos its actually snowing here at last!
Ow come on then Katy as its you have you started counting..where are the cakes!!!!
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 26 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »