Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2007, 01:42 PM

Need a bit of advice - home networking

Hi,

I have recently been able to upgrade my broadband speed from 1mbit to 2mbit, however I am using a Netgear router to connect to the internet which is in turn connected to an ethernet card in my PC. this is giving me a speed of only 100.0mbps.

My question is, should I reconnect my PC to the internet using the original broadband modem then leave the router connected to my Pc?

Basically instead of the broadband going to the router first, direct it to the PC first.

I hope you can see what I am trying to say.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Ian
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-04-2007, 03:01 PM
The 100mbps that you get is normal being connected via the ethernet all pc's/ laptops connected this way will only display this amount. You won't get any more speed by passing your router and connecting directly to the internet your old way.
To make sure you can run a speed check on each configuration to see which is the fastest. Then you can make an informed decision with the router in or not i don't think it will make that much difference you'll still get your 2MB speed it's just your connection is not saying your getting it just the 100 MBPS when you were used to seeing another figure there
The link below is on that AZZ posted to check your connection speed.

Internet speed test