Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
I'd still add them to the list. Ethical breeders plan ahead and would have provisions in place should worse case of scenario happen.
I don't think even ethical breeders can plan for every scenario....
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I agree with Moobli. Te good breeders wouldn't be on it and the puppy farmers wouldn't care. There's also too much for new dog owners to plough through as it is.
Nope...don't think it's workable and don't see the point either...maybe in an ideal world......
Problem is though there are a lot of breeders who make out that they are ethical breeders and fool a lot of people into thinking that they are when they are not. A list like this would highlight them.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd still add them to the list. Ethical breeders plan ahead and would have provisions in place should worse case of scenario happen.
even honest and ethical people fall upon hard times, life happens,and in the real world its usually these people that have it harder.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Problem is though there are a lot of breeders who make out that they are ethical breeders and fool a lot of people into thinking that they are when they are not. A list like this would highlight them.
Would it though???? Who would it highlight them too?????

What about a list of bad owners?
Owners who repeatedly end up with their dogs going into rescue??? Aren't they as bad?
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think those are exceptional circumstances (if they were indeed true and the breeder wasn't just saying that!) and then the list wouldn't apply!
Becky
But how could you surely find out, The contact the newowners must sign clearly states in most cases the owner shall get in touch with the breeder should he run in to difficulties and wants to rehome his dog through no fault of his own, i dont think its fair to target breeders who dont know there pups in rescue and i for one would be deeply upset if one of mine was, however il tell you a tale everyone.

About 4 years ago an owner came back out the blue after the took the pup 6 years eariler, and said toni i cant keep him no more hes agressive with the other dog, and weve moved into a smaller house, isaid ok il take him see what i can do and find him and new home, so i took him the next week, the last time id saw or heard from him was 6 years before the owner had moved 4 times in 6 years and got max for protection, well max was very aggressive with me and the kids and after trying to get him out of his run everyday for 3 weeks i decided it wasnt fair i would have him put to sleep,he howled at night bite my daughter, and just wouldnt eat it wasnt fair.
so i called a friend to ask his opinion and he agrred to come have a look,he just so we thought bonded with max and he took him and he had him for 2 years and he bite his brother one day out the blue, he called me and asked me what to do, i said in my honest opinion id end his misery and thats just what happened, but on the other hand ive taken back 1 of mine and 1 of someone elses in these circumstances and rehomed them,and ive taken in alsorts of troubled boxers and several collies and to expect a breeder to take back a rescue everytime might not work,the pup that leaves at 8 weeks isnt the dog that comes back all messed up and ill treated,we try our best as breeders to home our pups in only the best homes and sometimes circumstances change for them, those that do take back there pups years later should be named and praised,not named and shamed.
xxzbx
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Would it though???? Who would it highlight them too?????

What about a list of bad owners?
Owners who repeatedly end up with their dogs going into rescue??? Aren't they as bad?
Of course they are but I don't think they are any worse than a breeder who sells their pups and then washes their hands of them.

The list would highlight the bad breeders to members of the public and ethical breeders
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:04 PM
How would you get the info on the Breeders,as most go into rescue without any papers?
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Of course they are but I don't think they are any worse than a breeder who sells their pups and then washes their hands of them.

The list would highlight the bad breeders to members of the public and ethical breeders
isnt that the point of selling the pup to pass the responsibility on to the new owner
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Would it be any different to the naming/shaming greyhound list?

All you'd be writing is the dogs details and who they were bred by and which rescue they ended up in, unless anyone can think of anything else that would need to be added?
Just to point out that the greyhound list only contain the dogs RACING name - no breeder is mentioned on this list. If you were to start naming affix's that lead directly back to the breeder or the breeder themselves, - i imagine there would definatly be legal issues.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:12 PM
But, as unfortunate as it is, a huge percentage of dog owners would never even know about the list, or wouldn't really be bothered about checking it out. People buy dogs from all manner of breeders and a list like this would not stop the puppy farmers or backyard breeders. It just wouldn't work.
Page 2 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »