Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:35 PM

Naming & Shaming breeders of dogs ending up in rescue

Following on from the other thread about Greyhounds, a member posted about naming and shaming breeders of dogs that end up in rescue. I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Obviously the breeder would have to be given the opportunity to take the dog back but if they refused to, do you think it would be a good idea to name and shame them publicly on one list for everyone to see?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:38 PM
I think it's a good idea personally, I'm a firm believer in public humiliation! It would also serve well to puppy buyers who may want to avoid those breeders who aren't interested!
Becky
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:42 PM
If you were to do this, it think you must look very seriously on how to set it up. The legal ramifications could be huge.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
If you were to do this, it think you must look very seriously on how to set it up. The legal ramifications could be huge.
Would it be any different to the naming/shaming greyhound list?

All you'd be writing is the dogs details and who they were bred by and which rescue they ended up in, unless anyone can think of anything else that would need to be added?
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:44 PM
copied from another thread as was going off topic xx

It would be great if we could name and shame breeders that refuse to take back there puppies, as without the breeder the pup would never be there, but unfortunaltey even breeders circumstances change, example a lady breeds several litters of gsd and out of them 6 end up in rescue the rescue call her and ask them to take the dogs back, and they say well we hit hard times sold up and now live in a 1 bedroom flat in liverpool.What happens then you put them on a name and shame register and get done for slander it just wont work, breeders know who the bad ones are and try to warn the joe public thats doing better good than trying to shame them imo xxzbxx
Thats what the r.s.p.c.a does.people will rescue animals its human nature for most of us,the fact some poeple abuse the situation is wrong and they have to live with that we'd best spend our time helping the ones we can and accepting that we cant change everyone.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:48 PM
I think those are exceptional circumstances (if they were indeed true and the breeder wasn't just saying that!) and then the list wouldn't apply!
Becky
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Not sure what difference it would make to be honest.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:49 PM
I think we argued the point to oblivion in whos responsible for the most unwanted dogs,while I like a good debate can we have a new subject?
oh and on the thread topic, I dont think its a good idea to
attack peoples reputation on a mass basis as every situation is different.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with Moobli. Te good breeders wouldn't be on it and the puppy farmers wouldn't care. There's also too much for new dog owners to plough through as it is.
Nope...don't think it's workable and don't see the point either...maybe in an ideal world......
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
copied from another thread as was going off topic xx

It would be great if we could name and shame breeders that refuse to take back there puppies, as without the breeder the pup would never be there, but unfortunaltey even breeders circumstances change, example a lady breeds several litters of gsd and out of them 6 end up in rescue the rescue call her and ask them to take the dogs back, and they say well we hit hard times sold up and now live in a 1 bedroom flat in liverpool.What happens then you put them on a name and shame register and get done for slander it just wont work, breeders know who the bad ones are and try to warn the joe public thats doing better good than trying to shame them imo xxzbxx
Thats what the r.s.p.c.a does.people will rescue animals its human nature for most of us,the fact some poeple abuse the situation is wrong and they have to live with that we'd best spend our time helping the ones we can and accepting that we cant change everyone.
I'd still add them to the list. Ethical breeders plan ahead and would have provisions in place should worse case of scenario happen.
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »