register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pete
Almost a Veteran

13-01-2005, 11:15 AM
laura i know its only a small minority of people do this but most sites ive visited relate to dogs of the type david levy was talkin about tell about dog lines and how well they faught and how long for and a couple show dogs fightin, how to get them ready for one and so on .i dont agree with him publicy talkin to a paper about this type as it is only fueling fire and making matters worse.but when people breed them advertisin these points there breeds fightin capability and how to get them to fight i think its a bit irressponsable i know its only a small minority and i know how strongly you feel about your dogs but unfortuantly not everyone is and its only harmin staffordshire bull terriers and the like.heres some i found with a quick google search so there pretty much open to anyone who does a little investigating
http://www.bullterriertimes.co.uk/dublinreds.htm
http://www.bullterriertimes.co.uk/classic.htm
i have found a lot worse but will not post as it is only more fuel for people who wanna pull our breed down
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by pete
laura i know its only a small minority of people do this but most sites ive visited relate to dogs of the type david levy was talkin about tell about dog lines and how well they faught and how long for and a couple show dogs fightin, how to get them ready for one and so on .i dont agree with him publicy talkin to a paper about this type as it is only fueling fire and making matters worse.but when people breed them advertisin these points there breeds fightin capability and how to get them to fight i think its a bit irressponsable i know its only a small minority and i know how strongly you feel about your dogs but unfortuantly not everyone is and its only harmin staffordshire bull terriers and the like.heres some i found with a quick google search so there pretty much open to anyone who does a little investigating
http://www.bullterriertimes.co.uk/dublinreds.htm
http://www.bullterriertimes.co.uk/classic.htm
i have found a lot worse but will not post as it is only more fuel for people who wanna pull our breed down

Fantastic website the BTT great articles too. Personally I have read all these articles and I find them interesting that is not to say I am a dogfighter or I enjoy the sport but I do like reading about my dogs and where they came from, to understand them & their history and it gives me a better insight into the dogs themselves I cant see how this does any harm we all know where they came from not talking about it does not make it any better or worse, all this of course is just a matter of opinion.

I dont see how talking about the breeds past does them any harm today, I am sure people are wise enough to know that in these articles they are talking about days gone by, its a part of their history and that cannot be ignored. I think it gives a good insight into the breeds make up, its not for everybody but that is not to say that it is up to David Levy to slag off anything other than those which win rosettes. All I am saying is in times like this everybody should stick together regardless of what type of bull breed they own.

Regardless of what anybody tells me David Levy does more harm than good. Obviously you are fighting his corner and I respect your views but for somebody so high up in the Stafford world to put down any bull breed (as he has done on many occasion - very publically) really gets me down, those people who dont know anything about bull breeds but read such articles dont distinguish Staffords from Pits or the various types and that is where the problem lies.

Laura
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi folks I too am very angry about the article. Our chairperson is the Duchess of Hamilton and she has been on the phone to this lass ( giving her absolute hell) as well as the Editor (awaiting the returned call). The reporter has printed lies!!!!! There was never a child killed in Edinburgh. There was a child attacked but not killed.. Personally I think a petition signed by as many people as possible should be done. Not sure how to do this though.
Tracie
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Okay if they are that bad then how come my Jas is a registered Pets As Therapy dog, has a very laid back attitude towards other dogs and people, has never ONCE attacked another dog (unprovoked or otherwise)?

I'm definately gonna write to them.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by scotbun1
Hi folks I too am very angry about the article. Our chairperson is the Duchess of Hamilton and she has been on the phone to this lass ( giving her absolute hell) as well as the Editor (awaiting the returned call). The reporter has printed lies!!!!! There was never a child killed in Edinburgh. There was a child attacked but not killed.. Personally I think a petition signed by as many people as possible should be done. Not sure how to do this though.
Tracie
Let us know how she gets on, tell me does anybody know the place where you can make up the online petitions? Perhaps start one there.

I remember the attack they mention (although not in the way they describe) I think it was a black and tan dog went for a kid in a playground. Did they ever find the dog if so and more to the point did they ever find out if it actually was a Stafford.

A labrador X springer spaniel bit a kid two streets down from me and it was reported as a pitbull type dog. I couldn't believe it, even when the owner confirmed what their dog was they never bothered to correct the error - makes you mad.
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Laura, they never found the dog that attacked the girl. A reporter called me and asked for a comment. He said the dog that attacked the girl stood as high as the girls (12yrs old) waiste, I have a 12 yr old son and my staffie does not come up to his waiste, and the dog was black and tan. Not many black and tan staffs. I asked if it could have been brindle and descibed what brindle looked like but he said no it was definately black and tan. Could have been a rottie.
Tracie
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I have a tall Staffords by most standards and she is only just past my knee. Although I know of a few black & tan Staffords around as you say they are rather rare, could have been a cross of some kind, seems strange they would identify it as a Stafford given the colour my first thought would be anybody that knew nothing about dogs would have said Rottie
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 12:28 PM
OKay I've done my letter and have got a bit carried away me thinks

Talk about a 'flea in the ear' I think she's gonna get a heavy infestation
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2005, 12:45 PM
CROSSPOSTED

A reply from David Levy, it appears that some comments he made were taken out of context and he gave an interview on flase pretences.

I currently don't have direct access to my e-mails due to a
neighbour's tree taking out my land line at the weekend. I can
therefore only send this e-mail to people I have corresponded to from
work. Please pass it on if relevant.

Today's Daily Telegraph has an article by Cassandra Jardine
entitled "Little bruisers that make me quake". It is a new attack on
Staffordshire Bull Terriers taking clips of telephone conversations
out of context and presumably trying to instigate a new campaign
against Staffords.

I am quoted, so is Jim Beaufoy (as SBT Club secretary) and Ali Taylor
(from Battersea). Doubtless they may have views on whether their
comments have been properly reported.

There is also a statement that "A child was killed by a Staffie in
Edinburgh last Autumn". I have never heard anything about such a case
so if anyone knows about it please let me know.

I did do a google search and came up with a report about an attack on
12th October. This states "Police are now anxious to trace the dog,
which is 18 inches high with a dark brown and black coat." i.e. as
usual, there is no reliable evidence of the dog and the description
does not appear to be that of a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
Incidentally, the child was bitten, quite badly apparently but
certianly not "killed".

I have always maintained that the genuine SBT combines tremendous
power with a sound temperament. Don't forget, our breed standard
actually states that the dog must be good with people "especially
children". Both are defining characteristics of our breed. When
people cross Staffords with other breeds to create their ideal image,
there is always a risk that some of the progeny will not have the
sound temperament that SBT owners can expect.

What I was told was that Ms Jardine's article was about the increase
rescue problem for Staffords. As you will see, this was not the case.
The quote from me was part of a much longer conversation about the
problem of rescue numbers. I said something like there are three
groups of breeders.

1) Show people who are trying to breed to a standard and who will
have their dogs registered at the KC.

2) People who have KC registered dogs and think it would "be good for
them to have a litter". They may or may not register their pups.

3) People who just happen to have a Stafford type dog and someone
says they'd like one like that so they decide to have a litter.

I then said that in all groups there are a small number of people who
are only motivated by money and they are the main cause of the rescue
problem since they will over-produce puppies.

I went on to say that we are also aware that the breed unfortunately
attracts some people who are only looking for a status symbol to try
and make them look tough. That such people buy taller Staffords
because these look more like the Pitbull that they may previously
have gone for and that they will just get rid of the dog after a few
months when they find out it is not the vicious weapon they were
looking for. i.e. That this all serves to provide the additional
SBT's that are now having to be re-homed (remember, that was what I
thought we were discussing).

I hope this will give you an idea about the misrepresentation
inherent in this article. I suggest that we ask Stafford owners to
write to the Editor of The Telegraph as well as their own MP's