View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Chloe, why should ear cropping be any worse than tail docking? Suppose that could be a whole other debate, but I'm curious! I s'pose I'm somewhere in the middle, not really for or against (though, like Chloe said, if I was to breed a litter of traditionally docked breed pups, I wouldn't dock them.)

I don't think the arguments for tail docking really hold much weight, people say tails should be docked to avoid splitting... in that case, why descriminate between breeds? Why not dock all breeds of dogs? Weimeraners are usually docked, but Dalmations (who have quite whippy tails) aren't, Mastiffs aren't docked but Neo's are. The other thing that doesn't make sense is the difference in length of tail; Rotts end up with a stump, but Neo's only loose the last third of their tail...

Anyway, just a few of my confused thoughts!!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 09:41 AM
why should ear cropping be any worse than tail docking?

Good post Lizzy, I have raised the point before in relation to this argument. Neither is worse than the other in my opinion its a bit of double standards saying cropping is disgusting but docking is oaky.

don't think the arguments for tail docking really hold much weight, people say tails should be docked to avoid splitting... in that case, why descriminate between breeds? Why not dock all breeds of dogs? Weimeraners are usually docked, but Dalmations (who have quite whippy tails) aren't, Mastiffs aren't docked but Neo's are

The same can be said about the argument of ear cropping in pitbulls, it was said that they were cropped to cause less damage in the pit however lots of very famous pit champions and good dogs had ears uncropped and were excellent in their own right and so I dont think that point holds any weight either. Most are probably done for cosmetic reasons now.

Personally, as I have stated before, I like the cropped and docked look on certain breeds. If it doesnt affect the dogs ability to go around daily life as normal and doesnt cause them any problems then I cant see a probelm if it is done professionally.

Laura
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

27-08-2004, 10:03 AM
I have had Danes that have split their tails and when they hit you with them they bl**dy well hurt, but I wouldn't want them docked.

I have also had to have the tail amputated from a Dane due to a canerous tumor. Digby did actually look very nice and after a while I didn't notice too much but he had a lovely shaped rear end and bottom.
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

27-08-2004, 10:06 AM
I have had Danes that have split their tails and when they hit you with them they bl**dy well hurt, but I wouldn't want them docked.

I have also had to have the tail amputated from a Dane due to a canerous tumor. Digby did actually look very nice and after a while I didn't notice too much but he had a lovely shaped rear end and bottom.
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

27-08-2004, 10:16 AM
If you stick to the original justification for tail docking then of course its different from ear cropping. Danes and Dobes in the US have their ears cropped for cosmetic reasons - correct? Therefore if, theoretically, a dog is having its tail docked to prevent it getting injured in the undergrowth when working and a dog is getting its ears cut off for cosmetic reasons - of course there is a difference.

That said, the majority of docked breeds these days don't do a days work in their lives, so they shouldn't be docked - which is why I said that I wouldn't dock!

I am also pretty sure that ears that are cut/pinned take a lot longer to heal than docked tails and are considerably more painful?
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for adding the bit about ear cropping Laura, I did mean to write something (I've done a 'home crop' job on my Presa Lia, like your Cassy, I'll have to take a picture sometime!!)
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

27-08-2004, 10:24 AM
Here's Phoebe with my home cropping service:

and Willis as a cane corso:

Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Many people who work dogs like Presa, Dogo Argentino etc on pigs in America choose to have their ears cropped to stop the pigs from ripping ears to shreds, they also say that if several dogs live together they crop ears to save the dogs from doing the same thing. People always have their own (in their minds) legitimate reasons for doing things.

Ears were originally cropped to prevent injury, so it isn't any better or worse than docking.... in fact I think it is more detrimental for a dog to lose his tail than part of his ears. Also, the ears don't take longer to heal, in fact people have said that they take less time to heal than a docked tail (I have never had first hand experience of cropped ears, so only relate things I've been told by others who have) BUT it takes longer to get the ears to stand
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:28 AM
I am also pretty sure that ears that are cut/pinned take a lot longer to heal than docked tails and are considerably more painful?

I couldnt really tell you how painful either process is having never experienced it myself

I still dont buy that one is worse than the other, they are both medial procedures both done for cosmetic and sometimes "work" reasons.

Does this mean then that if ear cropping was done in the genuine belief that (or it did) make the working dogs life easier it would be more acceptable.

Therefore if, theoretically, a dog is having its tail docked to prevent it getting injured in the undergrowth when working and a dog is getting its ears cut off for cosmetic reasons - of course there is a difference.

There are plenty of breeds without docked tails who work just as well as ones with so if you are okay with it purely for "working" terms then I would think again about what exactly that means.

LOL Lizzy I would love to see the pics. Funny how many people actually "crop" their dogs ears like this, just a while ago somebody on another board posted their boxer with cropped ears, all good fun.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy
why should ear cropping be any worse than tail docking?
Ear cropping is carried out on older pups under a general anaesthetic. It takes weeks and months of posting and taping before the ears will stand without support. It may be supposed, therefore, that this is at least uncomfortable for the pup, and, at worst, painful. The usual puppy activities: rolling, getting under furniture, etc. must be inhibited.

Docking, either by cutting or banding, is carried out at 3 days old. There is a persuasive argument that the nerve supply to the rear of the puppy is not fully developed at this age. An experienced breeder can cut the tails in seconds with a minimun of discomfort to the puppy. Cutting dew claws, which seems a more accepted practice, would appear to cause much more distress.
Page 5 of 23 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »