View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 09:24 PM
The way I see it is this. Dogs are not born with docked tails. unless they are "bobtails", and they in any case have been artificially created by man. The whole point of this discussion to my mind is "why dock?". My answer to this question is "I don't know". I cannot think of any good reason to dock a dog, or to breed into a pedigree the "docked" gene for want of a better phrase. Why? I don't understand. A pointer can point, with or with its docked tail. A cocker spaniel is a brilliant little parcel of scenting and sniffing, with or without its natural plume of a tail. A Doberman can do whatever Dobermans do best, with or without a docked tail. Ditto a boxer. Ditto a Wiemeraner. I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever to breed a dog to have a short tail, or to dock the tails of little puppies. The cruelty and pain inflicted on puppies during the docking process IMO is totally obscene, inhumane and anyone who performs such a process should, IMO, have bits chopped off their anatomy without anaesthetic so they can experience what it is like. Then lets see how supportive they are of docking.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Ohh Deep Breath here I go......

I have made no secret to the fact I like the look of a docked Rott - that said the one and only time Sid and I got to visit Crufts, there were docked AND undocked Rotts in the ring (albeit in the minority at the time ) When I rang to enquire about Marius' litter, from my chosen breeder, if the breeder had said he was docked it wouldn't have put me off, if he was UNDOCKED, I would have said to leave it I got Marius before the docking ban kicked into place, and what was the deciding factor in choosing him was his breeding. Looking back, if I could rewind time and prevent his docking yes I would EVEN though I like the look of the docked tail I CANNOT justify it as a pet owner.

I am proud of the fact that if nothing else I am an honest person. I have always liked the look of the docked tail on a Rott, but that day I saw some real smashers that really suited their tails I have to say, I do understand that some people would be less intimidated if they saw a waggy tail,rather than the traditional docked one.

So, I guess in all I am a convert if the tail suits the dog, but a Spitz like tail would ruin a Rottie, so I guess I am still a hypocrite - love me or leave me!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 10:52 PM

I have made no secret to the fact I like the look of a docked Rott - that said the one and only time Sid and I got to visit Crufts, there were docked Rotts in the ring (albeit in the minority at the time ) The previous two Rotts we had had were docked but we were not that vehement on it, breeding was more important. When I rang to enquire about Marius' litter, if the breeder had said he was docked it wouldn't have put me off, if he was UNDOCKED, I would have said to leave it

I am proud of the fact that if nothing else I am an honest person. I have always liked the look of the docked tail on a Rott, but that day I saw some real smashers that really suited their tails I have to say, I do understand that some people would be less intimidated if they saw a waggy tail,rather than the traditional docked one.

So, I guess in all I am a convert if the tail suits the dog, but a Spitz like tail would ruin a Rottie, so I guess I am still a hypocrite - love me or leave me!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I love you for your honesty Anne-Marie ! You are entitled to your opinion, and you have stated it hand on heart !
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
The way I see it is this. Dogs are not born with docked tails. unless they are "bobtails", and they in any case have been artificially created by man. The whole point of this discussion to my mind is "why dock?". My answer to this question is "I don't know". I cannot think of any good reason to dock a dog, or to breed into a pedigree the "docked" gene for want of a better phrase. Why? I don't understand. A pointer can point, with or with its docked tail. A cocker spaniel is a brilliant little parcel of scenting and sniffing, with or without its natural plume of a tail. A Doberman can do whatever Dobermans do best, with or without a docked tail. Ditto a boxer. Ditto a Wiemeraner. I can see absolutely no reason whatsoever to breed a dog to have a short tail, or to dock the tails of little puppies. The cruelty and pain inflicted on puppies during the docking process IMO is totally obscene, inhumane and anyone who performs such a process should, IMO, have bits chopped off their anatomy without anaesthetic so they can experience what it is like. Then lets see how supportive they are of docking.
Ditto. you are sooo much better than me at explaining your/my opinions (since they are the same ). btw, you shouldnt still feel ashamed about when you got the puppies tails docked, it was a long time ago and you have learnt from it, thats the main thing
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

I have made no secret to the fact I like the look of a docked Rott - that said the one and only time Sid and I got to visit Crufts, there were docked Rotts in the ring (albeit in the minority at the time ) The previous two Rotts we had had were docked but we were not that vehement on it, breeding was more important. When I rang to enquire about Marius' litter, if the breeder had said he was docked it wouldn't have put me off, if he was UNDOCKED, I would have said to leave it

at least your honest . i think tails are important to dogs, i know i definately would feel more comfortable with a dog with a waggy tail coming towards me than a dog whos tail i couldnt see coz its too small lol
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Ditto. you are sooo much better than me at explaining your/my opinions (since they are the same ). btw, you shouldnt still feel ashamed about when you got the puppies tails docked, it was a long time ago and you have learnt from it, thats the main thing

Sure have ! Their screams still ring in my ears, it was not nice. Thank you for your nice comments Lozzi !
Page 23 of 23 « First < 13 20 21 22 23