View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-05-2007, 02:13 PM
I've 'had' dogs for 31 years (since I was little) so I've no real way of knowing how they've improved my life. What I do know is when I've not got them around me it feels wrong.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 08:54 PM
i love my two dearly ,and bessey whom we lost three years ago (cant leave her out ) i think they made me talk to people more ,ive made loads friends with other dogs owners
which i find are nicer people than none dog owners . i thing i love them and they love me and none of us would be with out the other .
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-08-2007, 09:16 PM
When our old girl Honey died we decided that we could come and go as we wished as we had plenty of time to spare we could travel as near or far as we wanted to and for as long as we wanted to,but there was something missing. No head on your knee, no eyes looking at you filled with love, and we missed this so much so Lexi came and Oh how different she was to Hon but she fills our days with love, laughs and the odd tear but I wouldn't change my life now for anyones...
Thats the difference a dog makes...
Sue
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
That's a very easy one. She hasn't so much improved my life but rather given it back to me.

I was clinically depressed for over two years for reasons that go far beyond the scope of this message. However, to say I became withdrawn would be an understatement. I truly believe that you could count the number of times I left the house in that two year period, on two hands alone -- even venturing into my own garden.

Anyway, as I started to feel better (the wonders of modern medicine and a fantastic medical support team --- knock the NHS all ya like but I think they're the best thing in the world) I started venturing into the garden. Then I figured it's time for a dog. It was a two-edged decision really. One because I work at home all day and can therefore afford all the time in the world to a dog, and secondly because it forces you out of the house, like it or not.

Anyway, here I am about four months later, out with the dog each and every day without fail, and loving every second of it. The beauty of dogs is that they don't ask questions, don't judge, and don't have high expectations. Gotta love 'em...
I have been suffering from post natal depression and at the time hadnt got another dog, then Maisie and connie came along, they had had it far tougher than I and with each day started to love life, they get me out and every day gets better for me as it gets better for them and now we have a new baby podge, who keeps us all on our toes, so the three have them have helped me more than any human could!
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
I met my husband as the result of one of my dogs.

I was running a restaurant in a large village, the entrance to the restaurant was through a small courtyard with a wrought iron gate and I had heard a handsome Army Officer rented the flat next door and sometimes walked through the courtyard. He was abroad a lot of the time so I had never seen him.

My little Schnauzer Bunny came to work with me and had a bed in the corner of the restaurant, she was quite an attraction. One day I was leaving work and fumbling to put my keys away walked straight into a man who was coming through the gate, we both apologises and went on our way. The man came after me and said he had noticed me and my unusual little dog walking to work and could he take me out to dinner, he crouched down and fussed Bunny who liked him instantly .

I was rather taken aback by this pushy man and politely refused his invitation . The next morning I arrived at work to find a letter under the door saying 'Will you come out with me tonight, tomorrow and every night' , later the man appeared in the restaurant with a huge bouquet of flowers and that was that!

Oh Mini what a charming story. when are you going to write that book?
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I didn't find this thread until after Oscar died. Then I thought it was too late to contribute. But, it keeps popping up and my attention is drawn to it. Maybe it would be an injustice to Oscar if I neglect to tell you how he improved my life.
When I look back over my 57 years, I realise that all my life I have been looking for love. I have loved many times but it has rarely lasted any length of time. In my twenties, after a disastrous marriage, I took refuge in caring for horses for a time. There I learned that love can be reciprocated in a special way. However, I needed to earn a living and couldn't afford horses of my own so I had to move on - to the caring profession. It has to be said that caring for the sick does help you to be thankful for what you do have. Sadly the 'caring' profession changed beyond recognition with the advent of managers and the 'internal market'. It has never been the same since then and I became disillusioned.
Now I am at home caring for my mother, after having been let down very badly while working in a religious organisation. My ideals of love came crashing to the ground and totally devastated me. For three years I stayed at home with my mum. The doctor had prescribed an anti-depressant when I first came home and the dose was rather high although we did try to reduce it unsuccessfully during those 3 years.
And then, I got Oscar. From the first I was struck by the fact that he greeted each day with joy and delight and excitement. Something I have no recollection of feeling. He bonded to me very quickly and completely. Although he was always delighted to meet and interact with others, his wee place was with me and we both knew that. Because of Oscar I joined this forum and made new friends, who have been towers of strength for me. Oscar became my all and it felt safe to love him because it was obvious he would love me back - it was obvious to everyone that he was devoted to me and I was thrilled to bits. This was the kind of love I had been searching for. It was uncomplicated, simple, honest and didn't make any demands to change - unconditional in every respect. When Oscar was 6 months I went to the GP and asked that my medication be reduced again. After all, we were going out twice a day on walks and I was meeting other people and Oscar was just my constant companion.
By the time Oscar died - at only 11 months old - 9 short months after he came into our home, my medication had been halved! When he died, it felt as though my life was spiralling back downwards into a darkness I didn't want to see. I have my wee mum to look after and I need to be well now. In fact I need Oscar more than ever now.

Just when I thought it was safe to love without reserve - without holding anything back - he died!
Vase
Dogsey Junior
Male 

11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Rogue has shown me that there are endless beautiful moments, and being able to share them with a creature that loves you unconditionally makes living worthwhile.
sammerson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
I have also had dogs all my life, but I can relate to how one particular dog, my Piper, has improved my life. I have been through so much with that little mutt, and each day seems to bring me closer to her. I still get teary eyed just thinking about her. She is just so special to me. When I got her, it was a very pivotal point in my life. I spent a part of my life without a proper roof above my head, and never really knowing where I was going the next day, or where my next meal would come from. It's not something I'm proud of, but it's a part of my past, and there's no since pretending it never happened. When I got Piper, I was given a second chance. She sparked a fire inside that I thought had died out long ago. Just having another living body with me, and someone who loved me no matter what I did, thought, or said, that made me step back and take another view on my life. Having her gave me a purpose. I had to make myself a better person and get my life together so that I would be able to care for her and give her the love and attention she deserved. Though, I don't think I could EVER provide her as much love as she does me, I just don't think humans are quite as capable of love as dogs are. There is just something special about the love a dog has. But she definately improved my life and I could never thank her enough for changing me into the person I am today.

"may I always be the person my dog thinks I am"
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Since I met my pup 4 years ago its the first time in my 53 years that I have experienced love and its a wonderful thing.I cherish every moment while it lasts
amandas-jacks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:47 PM
well when i got my first ever dog *SASHA* she opened my eyes to everything that was around me as i had a very bad childhood and a start to life i didnt trust no one around me and since i had her i made friends starting to belive that not everyone was so bad and i can never thank her enough for that when she died i was very upset i had tyson at the time also he was 8weeks old and he just looked at me as if to say sasha is still here you can go on shes looking after you now and i belive that till this day
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »