View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 11:17 AM
....i do not use advocate for the flea component...for al the others ...but hey,tis persona choice at the end of the day.

eta... grooming dogs does nothing to the flea population.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
what if he brings in a tummy bug? Or kennel cough?
Just check him for them...look for natural alternatives, like a small amount of garlic. Google can be good
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Em if he is distressed he is probably having a slight reaction to it. Our old BC did. There are alternatives.

We rely far too much on these things and they are becoming less able to deal with fleas and ticks. A friend of mine had used a spot on on her dog...he got a tick, she retreated...nothing...the poured a pipette ON it...nothing...cue tick remover (why she hadn't done that first and what possessed her to do the other stuff I don't know) but it shows you what can happen even IF you use spot ons.
I think a tummy bug etc is seen as an un-preventable thing. Woody is more likely to get K C from the centre then to pass it on so is always at risk of that anyway.

What bothers me is that there is no one product that does them all, why do they all do just one or two less???
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't routinely use 'chemicals' as worm/flea treatments, preferring natural methods.
After recently rescuing a 6 year old bitch, whose history we didn't know, I decided on vet advice to give Advocate to all 3 dogs.
Never again! Although my 2 Parson Terriers were O.K. my little rescue became ill within an hour of application.She was violently sick for over 12 hours (right through the night) and by the time the vet saw her she was vomitting blood, and had to be carried into the surgery.

The vet said the 'spot on 'treatment would not have caused it and most likely it was gastroenteritis.
The dog had normal temperature and the 'other end' was functioning normally. After AB jab and anti inflamatory jab, I took her home with Zantac and Antepsin medicine.
I still think it was a reaction to the Advocate.
Betty had been in perfect health, eaten her tea, had not eaten anything unusual and was her usual bouncy self till after the Advocate.

Thankfully by the following morning when I had to take her back to the vet, she had stopped vomiting and was picking up a bit.
A different vet saw her and when I voiced my concerns about Advocate, she said she would report Bettys reaction to the manufacturers, even though the previous vet was adamant it wasn't caused by the Advocate.

Betty has now recovered but I could kick myself for making her so ill with the treatment.

Just a thought.....these spot on treatments doses are governed by the weight of the dog. Both Betty and Jack fell into the same category, 4-10kg, so were given the same dose.
Betty weighs 5.5 kg and Jack weighs10.5kg.....a big difference. Maybe the dose was too much for Betty?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
....i do not use advocate for the flea component...for al the others ...but hey,tis persona choice at the end of the day.

eta... grooming dogs does nothing to the flea population.
Yes I know it doesn't, but what it does do is ensure I can check for fleas on a daily basis
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by parsonsmum View Post
I don't routinely use 'chemicals' as worm/flea treatments, preferring natural methods.
After recently rescuing a 6 year old bitch, whose history we didn't know, I decided on vet advice to give Advocate to all 3 dogs.
Never again! Although my 2 Parson Terriers were O.K. my little rescue became ill within an hour of application.She was violently sick for over 12 hours (right through the night) and by the time the vet saw her she was vomitting blood, and had to be carried into the surgery.

The vet said the 'spot on 'treatment would not have caused it and most likely it was gastroenteritis.
The dog had normal temperature and the 'other end' was functioning normally. After AB jab and anti inflamatory jab, I took her home with Zantac and Antepsin medicine.
I still think it was a reaction to the Advocate.
Betty had been in perfect health, eaten her tea, had not eaten anything unusual and was her usual bouncy self till after the Advocate.

Thankfully by the following morning when I had to take her back to the vet, she had stopped vomiting and was picking up a bit.
A different vet saw her and when I voiced my concerns about Advocate, she said she would report Bettys reaction to the manufacturers, even though the previous vet was adamant it wasn't caused by the Advocate.

Betty has now recovered but I could kick myself for making her so ill with the treatment.

Just a thought.....these spot on treatments doses are governed by the weight of the dog. Both Betty and Jack fell into the same category, 4-10kg, so were given the same dose.
Betty weighs 5.5 kg and Jack weighs10.5kg.....a big difference. Maybe the dose was too much for Betty?
Exactly the same as I had when I first used it on my puppy, even though my older dog had always tolerated it, that's why I will never, ever use it again in this house.

It's very strange about the weight thing with it too, because when I last went in for some Stronghold, the nurse came out with the Advocate and to give my 38 kg dog her dose, she would needed to have been dosed with an additional 15kgs worth!!! Stronghold though, do an actual 40 kg dose, so that's only 2kg over her weight, I thought that was very strange. I know when they do their trials they overdose to double or even treble the dose, but I didn't want to risk it thanks! Needless to say, she was given the Advocate back and I said I'd wait for the Stronghold to arrive
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 05:31 PM
I think I will be talking to my pet shop and looking at alternativ es. the vet did mention milbemax......
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I think I will be talking to my pet shop and looking at alternativ es. the vet did mention milbemax......
I worm mine with Milbemax, the only worming tablets that doesn't make mine sick! Easy to get hold of, easy dosage and cheap
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I found that article on here for you Rachel, it makes for a good read, very enlightening!
http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=20146
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think Advocate smells, I use it on my two (so large breed doses) and I've never noticed a smell, on use or the day after.
I too don't really use it for the flea/worming side of things, I use it mainly as cover for lungworm. I was of the "treat them when you see them" train of thought but unfortunately you can't see signs of lungworm until considerable damage has been done to the lungs and I just won't risk it. I'd class my area and dogs as "high risk" though - multiple cases of it (including my mum's puppy, 15 minutes down the road), dogs who love to drink from puddles/eat grass, who are probably likely to eat a slug/snail out of curiousity, etc. so I don't want to risk it. I would recommend speaking to your vet and see how many cases of lungworm have been in the area and decide whether it's worth treating for it regularly or just, say, once or twice a year (and perhaps using a 7 day course of Panacur instead of Advocate if it worries you)t
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
if u are talking reactions... pet shop products either are a waste of money or lethal!!! (had numerous cats and pups on drips recovering...when they did ) whatever you choose please go for a vet one.

pup-in-a-bag had milbemax yesterday(chewy ones gone in a split second) but i will be using advocate next month.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >