View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 09:31 AM
How does it not hurt? If the dog pulls with the collar up by its ears it's going to be uncomfortable at the very least. Jerk the collar while it's up by the ears and it will HURT the dog. I'm sorry but there are ways to teach loose leash walking that don't rely on the dog avoiding pain or discomfort.

And Cesar Milan keeps a slip chain tight the vast majority of the time when I've seen him using them. The idea is a quick, sharp jerk which tightens the chain to cause discomfort or pain then release which means it'll loosen again, not tighten the leash and keep it tight.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by airedaleowner View Post
yeah but it doesnt hurt!!! i dont see the problem if it isnt causing the dog pain. Arthurs slip lead goes just above his collar, so not quite as high as him but close, if it was hurting him i think i would know. plus they release wen the dog doesnt pull so more comfortable.
I haven't used a choker or slip lead on any dog since 1964 when I retrained a dog for the first time for someone else. slip leads are just as dangerous as any type of choker, they can & do cause damage to dogs' necks. Much easier to unclip a conventional lead fron a half check or normal collar than to have to put a slip lead over the dog's head.

As for stopping a dog pulling they don't they only stop the dog pulling whilst they are wearing it if the dog chokes itself & stops pulling temporarily to be able to breathe.

There is only one way to stop a dog pulling, it's called training !

I've dealt with more"aggressive"dogs than I care to remember & have never ever been bitten, all these dogs have been rescue GSDs so not little or weak dogs.

CM does use e collars frequently that are not supplied by the dogs owners, there is one video that shows him zapping a dog so much that it screams in pain & is completely traumatised & it also bites it's owner ! He has been shown using the illusion collar to hang & strangle a dog into "submission"the dog's tongue goes blue quite clearly in the video-strangely enough Nat Geo that now produce this program has pulled all their videos of him mistreating dogs from his site & U tube. I have copies of these videos on another PC, which I managed to download before they were pulled.

Trouble is that Joe Public does not take notice of the program's disclaimers, do not stop to consider wqill it work or is it approapriate for my dog-they simply do as he does.

As for the all dogs need a 45 power walk a day total load of male cow poop, he never stops to consider the dogs health, age, size etc just bashes on about forced exercise. My dogs don't go for walks parsay, they are all lead trained, well muscled & have never needed a choker, slip lead etc, I train my puppies off lead at home so they walk with me because they find it rewarding not because they are compelled to by a lead & collar
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
if a prong collar is used right, on the right dog minimal correction is needed, cesar normally uses a lead. looped through its self. the prong collar gives the human the power in its mind. not to yank the dogs head off
Hey - you haven`t mentioned electric shocks yet! Is that next?
Then you can wind people up about stopping your dog chasing rattlesnakes. In Dorset.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 10:10 AM
ok am sorry

if you have a very large strong dog then maybe some owners feel safer and in more control with one on, that doesnt mean they will be yanking on it all the time hurting the dog.
I have 4 big strong dogs. I would no more ram spikes into their necks than I would kick, whip, beat or burn them. It`s cruel.
I took on a dog once who had been walked on a prong collar (so a child could walk her because the mother `didn`t have time`. )
She was a bag of nerves, and it took a year to get her walking properly.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 10:47 AM
yeah but it doesnt hurt!!! i dont see the problem if it isnt causing the dog pain. Arthurs slip lead goes just above his collar, so not quite as high as him but close, if it was hurting him i think i would know. plus they release wen the dog doesnt pull so more comfortable.
Sadly for your dog I don't think you would know, the adrenaline rush at the start of a walk over rules the pain and pain is a way of alerting the body to damage. If the pain is not there the damage continues.
It is why sometimes it is not wise to give painkillers after an op for very long----better that they should feel the pain and limit themselves.

Think about it.

rune
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sadly for your dog I don't think you would know, the adrenaline rush at the start of a walk over rules the pain and pain is a way of alerting the body to damage. If the pain is not there the damage continues.
It is why sometimes it is not wise to give painkillers after an op for very long----better that they should feel the pain and limit themselves.

Think about it.

rune
Yes I agree & this is the problem for most dogs that pull on the lead. Owners think that if it hurts, they wouldn't do it. But apart from the adrenaline masking the immediate pain, the long term damage of pressure on soft tissues round the neck, may not be apparent until later in life.

There's nowt to beat good training from an early age. But with the most persistant pullers with an ingrained habit from years of pulling, then owners need to go right back to basics & "uncouple" the associations between collar = lead = walkies = excitement = adrenaline = pull as hard as you can!!!
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:22 PM
im not 'mistreating' or hurting my puppy by using one. he is fine, i use normal clip leads as well and he acts no differently at all.

i never use pain to stop him doing anything, ever!!! he has never cried when im training him, never cowered, nothing. he is always enthusiastic. im not just saying it, im being truthful.

oh well, everyone trains differently, different things work on different dogs, end of!! clicker training wont work for every dog the same as CM ways dont either.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 12:52 PM
There are loads of threads on CM so I will try and keep it short

I believe most of his fans are really dog lovers and are not in any way cruel to their dogs, tend to be smart enough to cherry pick the OK bits of his training and leave the pinning down and flooding

I think he has SOME good advice
Such as exercise - but he misses the point of appropreate exercise based on the age and breed of the dog. He also totaly forgets about mental stimulation, running in a group without being let to sniff about an be a dog - even worse using an treadmill not for rehab but for owners too lazy to walk their dogs
Also things like forcing a giant breed puppy to go up stairs - when they pup shouldnt have been going up the stairs in the first place, or dragging a dog over a slippy floor rather than just putting a mat down

Some of his advice is just a little daft and missguided but dosent hurt the dogs

But lots of his tv shows focus too much on a battle with the dog
His training seems to assume that dogs know how to behavie in the human world and so anything they do 'wrong' is them being naughty and so its OK to punish them

People like the idea of a magic quick fix, a seceret energy, and special noise that fixes all problems in 30min then you have the next 15 years with a perfect dog

Punishment training (which is what he uses) supresses ALL dogs behaviours. SO they might look like they are well behavied when in actual fact all they are doing is nothing for fear of getting things wrong
dont pull, dont bark, dont go on sofa, dont chase the cat, dont ask for cuddles

all about negatives, I prefer my dogs to know what I would like them to do rather than telling them they are wrong all the time I like to let them know when they are right, and teach something different to do if they do something I dont like
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 01:33 PM
yeahh he has been bitten but look at the different types of dogs they both deal with!!! VS doesnt seem to deal so much with aggression ect wereas CM does more of that, you cant really clicker train a dog thats trying to attack you. you need a starting point were the dog repects you.
I think the reason VS doesn't deal with the 'aggressive' dogs that CM does is because she is sensible enough to realise that those sorts of cases aren't appropriate for an hour long TV show and should be left to the real trainers who have the experience to deal with those issues!

As for CM, I think he is an idiot quite frankly. I've watched a handful of his shows as well as various clips on the internet and I can safely say that I wouldn't want him anywhere near my dog!

Sure, he promotes daily exercise for dogs but he also promotes pinning dogs to the floor, using 'illusion' collars, using pinch collars and the outdated 'dominance' theory so any good he does by telling people to exercise their dogs is immediately negated by the cruel methods he also promotes, in my opinion.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
...What you will probably find is, that when the normal collar goes back on, the behaviour resumes, dog's or at least the ones I know, aren't stupid, they know what causes the pain, so when the cause is removed, the effect stops.

So in effect, you cause your dog pain, for no true result, you don't solve the issue, you mask it.

Yes, this is what happens

Most dogs realise what is causing the pain, and will simply pull again when it is removed.
It takes good training and patience to train a dog not to pull.

My dog walks nicely on a loose lead, because I have helped her to do so, and she understands what I want. Never used any kind of intimidation on her, and never would

I also would and have used a harness on occasions when getting from A to B and not had time to train, this works well and does not hurt dog or annoy owner

Wys
x
Page 7 of 24 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »