Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by MickB View Post
The DNA of wolves and domestic dogs are so similar that nowadays Scientists refer to domestic dogs as Canis Lupus Familiaris - a sub-division of the gray wolf (Canis Lupus). Having said that, in terms of mitochondrial DNA, there is a minor but significant difference of 0.02% between wolves and domestic dogs, and the latest theories consider that domestic dogs and wolves have been recognisably separate for 12-16,000 years. Archeologists in the Kamchatka region of Siberia have found the remains of domesticated Laika (husky) type dogs dating back 10,000 years.

Mick
Does it say what species the other 0.02% belongs to?
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Finally, someone else who appreciates anatomical diagrams and science books.

Hopefully it will let me post the link
http://books.google.com/books?id=cta...page&q&f=false

The other 2 I've got on the go are:

Extinct Animals: an encyclopedia of species that have disappeared during Human history
There's some interesting animals in there, but on the canid/like front, there's the Falkland Island fox/wolf and the Tasmanian tiger/wolf. Think there's another couple in there as well.

That also has ilistrations, along with a list of book/websites/articles etc for further reading on each species. It also has in the introduction info on the 7 mass extinction events, we're in the 7th right now.
Unfortunately, it can be quite expensive to get hold of. I suggest if you want it, you try and get it used/second hand unless you don't mind paying. Ebook versions are also a lot cheaper.

Then there's
Beasts of Eden: walking whales, dawn horses and other enigmas of Mammal evolution
Haven't read very much of it but, its already referenced ancient canid like animals, lacks on the picture front but is still interesting non the less.
The link you posted worked! I read a bit of the preview, I love how it goes all the way back to the Mesozoic era and explains the evolution of mammals/carnivores etc. because it explains so much more. Although the bits I read about evolution in my current book are alright, this seems much more thorough.

The other books sound great, especially the one about extinct animals. It's a shame it's expensive but I'll see if I can get hold of a 2nd hand copy (All my books tend to be 2nd hand due to being a cheap student! ).
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by beowulf881 View Post
Does it say what species the other 0.02% belongs to?
It doesn't belong to another species, it is just the natural evolutionary divergence from the original wolf DNA to domestic dog DNA.

Mick
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
and goes to show that there only needs to be a small deviation be for such a wide divergence in conformation, characteristics, temperament etc!!
Still doesn't mean that dogs should be treated like wolves, that 0.02% is a huge chasm on the evolutionary scale!!
Becky
Cindy23323
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Ok - my fault. Rephrase.

What point would a wolfdog become a dog (IYO)?
F6's are considered to be dogs.

For those who dont know. The offspring of a pure wolf bred to a dog or to a wolfdog is considered F1's.
The grandparent being the pure F2.
Great grandparent F3 and so on and so on.
Page 22 of 22 « First < 12 19 20 21 22