Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thorandamy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Wolf dogs

i thought i would put this thread on to see what peoples views are on the breeding and selling of wolf dogs. I must admit although i am a great dog lover, the potential problems this breed could cause concerns me . Do they have to be licenced?. Isnt there enough problems with some breeds becuse of irresponsible owners (their fault not the dogs) is this breed not going to be used as a status symbol by irresponsible and unknowedgable owners and if so what dangers could they pose . i have done some research on this breed and realise that the wolf part of the dog cannot really be trained.
I myself own three dogs one being an eight stone gsd but i wouldnt of taken him on unless i knew what i was doing completely becuse of the potential of him to cause harm , but as we all know there are idiot owners who dont go to this much trouble and the thought of them being responsible for a dog like a wolf dog is scary...your views please
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Ducks and covers ..
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Are you talking F1 F2 hybrids here? Or dogs with recent wolf content, or about the wolf lookalike breeds that are out there that frequently seem to take the name 'wolfdog'?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Ducks and covers ..
Runs and hides with you
thorandamy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2010, 02:48 PM
i am talking about the wolf dog hybrid that has actually got wolf in its breeding line , not wolf lookalikes
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by thorandamy View Post
i am talking about the wolf dog hybrid that has actually got wolf in its breeding line , not wolf lookalikes
Nothing more than money making machines for money grabbing breeders who care nothing about anything except their bank balance!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Nothing more than money making machines for money grabbing breeders who care nothing about anything except their bank balance!

and runs for cover as well
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Ducks and covers ..
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Runs and hides with you
Now now you 2, lets have none of that cowardly behaviour.

Eta

Make that the 3 of you.
murph
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-09-2010, 05:26 PM
So to confirm -Do you mean saarloos and czechs or actual wolf-dog hybrids?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by thorandamy View Post
You say in its breeding line, how recent are you thinking?

F1 and F2 wolfdog/hybrids require a dangerous wild animals licence in the uk, same as pure wolves. F3 and beyond however do not require any special licence and are classed as domestic dogs. Personally I'd say F3 and maybe F4s should still require a DWAL but thats jmo.

Then you've got the Czechoslovakian and Saarloos wolfdogs, which are both FCI recognised breeds of dog, they just happen to have been created by mixing Carpathian and European wolf respectively with gsd. The last pure wolf blood in both breeds was added generations ago. They've got trates that make them perfect for some, and completely unsuitable for others, just like any other breed of dog.

There're only a few breeders of Czech and Saarloos in the uk, and most if not all seem to spend more time mixing them with northern inuits, tamaskans, gsds, husky's, timbre wolves etc, then they do trying to promote the breeds themselves. A couple of those also breed/sell F3 and F4s, and if you believe the claime made by some, F1s are being sold as F4s, which wouldn't surprize me at all.
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »