View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jasper83
New Member!
Male 

16-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Swallowing lots and been sick. Heartburn Acid reflux?

Help.
I have a 7 and a half year male Golden Retreiver.
Latley he will start swallowing alot then his stomech will make some strange noises and he will be sick and will eat grass to make him sick to. Also if alone in the house or at night he will eat/chew carpet socks to make him self sick.

Could this be like heartburn or acid reflux, if so would milk and magnesium help or human tablets for the problem.

Thanks in advance.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Yes it sounds like excess stomach acid as thats what my Lily does. I don't know about Milk of magnesia for dogs so wouldn't like to comment.
Lily has Antepsin tablets from the vet and Zantac liquid for when she gets bad with it.
Zantac I know is used by humans but the strengths may be different. You are probably better getting something from your vet to stay safe.

You are probably better off not letting him eat grass too.
jasper83
New Member!
Male 

16-02-2013, 10:39 AM
Ok thanks for that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Agree with the aboce, sounds liek he is producing a lot of stomach acid,

How often is he fed , what time is his last meal in the evening, maybe try giving him a little supper before bedtime, to fill him up a little , this way he tummy will not be empty over night and will reduce the amount of acid ,
jasper83
New Member!
Male 

16-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Will try that. Would it make a differance it his food is dry or soaked? As he has it soaked at the moment and feed once mid morning. But will split his meals to see if helps.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Split his meals up at least three times a day & i think you should get a vet check. We had one with similar symptoms & she had gastric ulceration which needs specific treatment from the vet.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Hello Dave is this a recent change in behaviour.
Does you dog poo normally, is his weight stable.

Swallowing a lot is often a sign of a dog feeling nauseous and there could be a number of reasons for this.

I would have him checked by a vet to rule out some medical conditions.

What food are you feeding , I would certainly do as other members suggest and split the meals and soak if possible although some complete foods don't soak very well.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2013, 01:14 PM
I split Lily's food into 3 meals a day with a snack at bedtime and I soak her food. I also had to feed her a sensitive food and it was trial and error to find the right thing to suit her.
It is very important to get your boy vet checked though and get some medicaton to settle the acid. Also as someone else said he could have ulceration of the stomach caused by the acid.

The idea with splitting meals is to stop the stomach getting empty, so again its important to feed early morning and give something last thing at night..
jasper83
New Member!
Male 

16-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Hi Minihaha

It comes and goes, had it for about year and a half but only use to happen may be once every 2 months but now getting quite often. Told the vet but said hard to find out what it is as by the time he is at the vets its past. He is on bakers been on wagg both same results. His poo sometimes is like only i can discribe as like jelly. Also his weight is just the same.

He never has had sensitive stomach and allways had good bowl movement etc.