Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 07:06 PM

Mum's having a CT Scan tomorrow!

Had a chat with the doc today, coz I came up with an idea as to why Mum is so dizzy and walking so strangely. It all reminded me of when I was in hospital 5 years ago when they diagnosed me with vertigo, so I asked her lots of questions, and decided it was the very same as I had, so thought I'd mention this to the doctor. Funny thing, he said the same!!! (I'm always right ya know!!! ). They definitely think it's vertigo, BUT, they need to know WHY she has suddenly got it. I said they never bothered to do that with me, but he said in older people, it could point to them having had another stroke, or it could be numerous other reasons, and the CT scan would tell them exactly why she has got it, and hopefully they will then be able to do something about it.

She looks exceptionally well, as she did yesterday too. A lot more alert too, and the physio lady said she is walking quite a long way now with the zimmer, although of course she gets very tired. She is still walking very strangely though which is concerning them. The CT scan is booked for 9.30, but if I know hospitals with the scans, the queue will be a mile long, so she might well be tied up all day, plus the fact they've got to take her in an ambulance to get to it, so I'm not going to visit her tomorrow. I might go in the evening, but quite honestly I think she'll just want to be left alone, in peace to get over what I envisage is going to be a very tiring day, so I will stay at home and have a relaxing one!!

I've organised a lovely physio/osteopath,sports injuries lady who is more than willing to come out to the house to give mum some physio as well as a massage and ultrasound to try and get rid of the pain in her back, when she comes out of course! As far as the daily help goes, I can't arrange any of that yet, until I know exactly what they are going to arrange for me via the hospital and the NHS, coz obviously if we can get some free help I'll take it!! I won't hold my breath on that one though

All in all, things are progressing well, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if after the scan they make some sort of decision as to whether she can come back home and be looked after here with all the help we can get. The doctor said they will have a lot of information after this can and they will take it from there.

I'm just so pleased she's perked up a lot, she seems a lot more mobile getting from the bed to the chair, although still in a lot of pain, but it's all progress from how she was 2 weeks ago!

I think she likes it a bit too much in there with all those nurses rallying around her, and I told her she can't expect that when she comes out coz there's only one of me!!! She said she's so looking forward to having my home cooked food again coz the hospital food leaves a lot to be desired, but then they do their best with the numbers they have to cope with don't they.

I have changed my mind about the NHS care after all this, because they couldn't be doing more for my dear old mum, she's getting just about everything possible to get her fit and well again, and in turn, that makes me happy, you really can't fault them with these oldies, it's certainly opened my eyes up!

Thanks for listening, it's still going on I'm afraid!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Really pleased your mum is perking up Aitch. It must be such a relief to see her in good spirits. Glad they've arranged the Scan as well. Hopefully they will be able to find out a bit more. Enjoy your relaxing day tomorrow and make sure you let us know the results of her scan. Big hugs and wags and licks from your Cyber Cass. xxxxx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Hope that it all goes well for your mum tomorrow.xx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 07:52 PM
It is all sounding really positive. I wish all Care of the elderly places were this good.

Best wishes to your dear mum for tomorrow and hopefully it brings her one more step to going home.

(((hugs))) to you all xx
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Hope all goes well tomorrow ,Glad to hear your mum is more perkier xxdk
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

27-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Please tell her I'm sending best wishes for tomorrow too. As you say it's good they are doing that if it means they can really get to bottom of the dizzyness / walk thing. Sounds like she has made good progress and is now contemplating comming home. Will be thinking of you both tomorrow.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Glad things are looking up for Mum.
I'm glad you have changed your mind about the NHS, although we do hear some horrific stories it is not all bad. Make sure you accept all they offer, well I know you will!!
I was diagnosed with non benign vertigo about 10 years ago. Does make you feel very funny, like being drunk without the expense
I can go weeks without any sign of it then in the middle of the night I will wake up with the room spinning.I'm not able to even walk to the loo. Not nice
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Lots of good vibes for your mom tomorrow,,,,,best wishes to you all xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Glad things are looking up for Mum.
I'm glad you have changed your mind about the NHS, although we do hear some horrific stories it is not all bad. Make sure you accept all they offer, well I know you will!!
I was diagnosed with non benign vertigo about 10 years ago. Does make you feel very funny, like being drunk without the expense
I can go weeks without any sign of it then in the middle of the night I will wake up with the room spinning.I'm not able to even walk to the loo. Not nice
Oh yes Nippy, I know it so well! Mine's in remission at the moment too, but can suddenly flare up for no reason! Every night when I get up to use the loo I have to make sure I'm awake enough to remember to sit on the edge of the bed until my head settles before I stand up, otherwise I'd just fall over! Sometimes you feel like you're walking on cotton wool and the ground isn't solid, other times you feel like you're on a boat when you're not, other times you can turn around too quickly and wham it's like somebody has grabbed your head and pulled you over! I always likened it to having a head full of wet concrete, coz of the feeling you get when turning over in bed???!! Do you get the same? Always on the same side too, I have to be more careful on one side, and sort of wait until the room stops spinning if I've turned over too quickly, and then of course you feel constantly sick! It's a total nightmare, but thankfully, I haven't had a bout of it for about two years now, except for a couple of days recently when I turned too quickly lying in bed to talk to Mum who was walking past to go to the bathroom! Can you please tell me what the difference is between the "benign" version and any other version then? They never told me what version I had, only that it was vertigo and apparently my brain would learn to "adjust" to it's new found world! Which at the time was totally upside down and inside out and spinning with it! Truly awful, so I feel for you!

Thanks to all of you for all the good wishes for mum for tomorrow, I can't wait to hear the outcome and I'm really hoping they don't find out she's had another stroke, because quite honestly, I don't know what that will mean in terms of her recouperation. It might mean they will want to keep her in there for a lot longer than we're envisaging. Just have to wait and see what the doc says I suppose. I'm hoping maybe it's just an infection in the inner ear, but then she's had loads of blood tests so that would have shown up any infection wouldn't it no matter where the infection was? I really don't like the strange way she's walking though Hey ho, yet another milestone in our lives, I'm sure we'll overcome this one like we have all the others. I think they're going to x-ray her back yet again, because of this lower back pain (coxic sp? area) she's having, they can't work that one out yet either!

Take my hat off to the NHS, I will never, ever slate them again, they're doing a brilliant job, so long may it continue!

Thanks again guys, I will tell her of all your good wishes you are sending her.xxxxxxxx
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Hope all goes well tomorrow x

Glad your mum feels a little better and hugs to you both xx take care xx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >