Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Thats' such a shame Kel.
Sadly, some people in life are just totally up themselves and perhaps you were unlucky and she was just one of them.
I would imagine, if it's the breed I think it is, they are very protective, espcially given the current climate, over who gets one of their dogs...in all honesty Kel they will meet you and realise you are okay. I imagine it is difficult to be accepted in the breed, purely because of some of the numpties out there that own them...if you see what I mean?!!!!
I really hope you meet some brill people, I suspect that you will as your love of dogs will shine through and that can't be put on.
People in Cosmo's breed are also very protective of the breed, but I think if you show that you know your stuff and are responible and love dogs, then you can't go far wrong, as I say everyone I spoke to (and I spoke to some mega high up people) were lovely...after the initial intros of course, once they knew my motivation for getting a Flat Coat.

Good luck Kel, I'm sure it will go well...what day are you at Crufts on?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by mo View Post
Let them see you for what you are, a genuine person, dont put on any airs and graces that can be seen through, and be honest and open in your questions, regarding meeting these people at shows, I would definately wait til AFTER they have been in the ring, even the most helpful nice people can be a little nervous about going into the ring and may appear un interested in what you are asking because they have other things on their mind. as already stated the top winning kennel may not be the mentors you are looking for, you want someone that is open about health issues in their lines, prepared to explain how they are trying to overcome these issues etc at the end of the day you want someone you can relate to and ask even the silliest of questions and they wont treat you like an idiot.

Mo
Thank you Mo, this is exactly it, especially your last sentence, exactly what I am looking for! Good point about waiting 'til they have been in the ring. Thank you.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thats' such a shame Kel.
Sadly, some people in life are just totally up themselves and perhaps you were unlucky and she was just one of them.
I would imagine, if it's the breed I think it is, they are very protective, espcially given the current climate, over who gets one of their dogs...in all honesty Kel they will meet you and realise you are okay. I imagine it is difficult to be accepted in the breed, purely because of some of the numpties out there that own them...if you see what I mean?!!!!
I really hope you meet some brill people, I suspect that you will as your love of dogs will shine through and that can't be put on.
People in Cosmo's breed are also very protective of the breed, but I think if you show that you know your stuff and are responible and love dogs, then you can't go far wrong, as I say everyone I spoke to (and I spoke to some mega high up people) were lovely...after the initial intros of course, once they knew my motivation for getting a Flat Coat.

Good luck Kel, I'm sure it will go well...what day are you at Crufts on?
Thanx A, I hope so and it's not just the reasons you outlined but some people in the breed are in their cliques and that is them, not willing to accept anyone else if you know what I mean? Some reasons which are nothing to do with the actual breed and some which are. I'm at Crufts on the Saturday which leaves little to specualtion now! It's my first time on a non Gundog day!
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Im not sure which breed you are on about, i have found it hard in weims to get accepted, even helping with both rescues is hard.
Tia is by no means from the top kenel but she is my starting block and she is helping me on the long learning curve!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by hollie01 View Post
Im not sure which breed you are on about, i have found it hard in weims to get accepted, even helping with both rescues is hard.
Tia is by no means from the top kenel but she is my starting block and she is helping me on the long learning curve!
I have every sympathy for you in Weims and believe me, even with a dog from top kennels you are not ensured any kind of acceptence with that, you just have to stick with it. x
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-02-2008, 01:35 PM
so its not just me then kel lol!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 01:41 PM
The more 'yourself' you are with a breeder, hopefully the 'themselves' they will be with you, and then you will be able to judge whether or not you trust them enough to be honest with you about everything
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by hollie01 View Post
so its not just me then kel lol!
Definately not! I think you have to be in the breed about 50 years before you are no longer considered a newbie!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
The more 'yourself' you are with a breeder, hopefully the 'themselves' they will be with you, and then you will be able to judge whether or not you trust them enough to be honest with you about everything
Cheers, that's my plan anyway so hope it's enough!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 02:42 PM
I think a good way of getting the feel of a breeder is to talk to people who have there pups,. not just the show homes but the pet people to, thats when you find out how intrested they are in the breed, if only the show homes have a follow up and the pet dogs are left to get on with it, I would question there motives, x
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >