View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2008, 08:59 AM
My advice would be to just be yourself. Top breeders aren't all monsters - maybe some of them When people come to me about my breed I prefer them to be as natural as possible. Ask all the questions you like - if they don't like it then they're not the people for you

Debs
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by x_rose_x View Post

I would just try and stay calm, look at it as just talking with new friends, although that can be hard depending on whom it is, and as boobah said everyone has to start somewhere

Assuming it's the breed I think it is then Just wondering if any of the people your meeting are from Scotland?
2 of the main people are. I don't really want to say incase they lurk here and I make even more of a fool of myself!

Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Me thinks some are some aren't,:smt047:smt047:smt047xxxxxxxxx
This is very true, some are very near to me. :smt002 TBH I want to keep my options open as no-one can really say what the breed is going to go through in the next couple of years with tails coming in.

Originally Posted by surannon View Post
My advice would be to just be yourself. Top breeders aren't all monsters - maybe some of them When people come to me about my breed I prefer them to be as natural as possible. Ask all the questions you like - if they don't like it then they're not the people for you

Debs
Thanx Debs, I was hoping you would reply! I'm told they are lovely friendly people but I just feel as a newbie to the breed that it's a really daunting prospect to meet some of these people. I know it sounds daft but it's a bit like meeting a celeb I suppose!

If anyone wants any details give me a PM. x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-02-2008, 11:24 AM
I think it very difficult getting into a new breed and finding the right breeder, if you where to ask about my breed, I could tell you who to go to and who not to . But when looking for a new breed we are in unentered territory, and sometimes make the mistake of going to the "best" and most "successful" in the breed.

I have also got a few new breeds I fancy.... have done loads of research and got couple of phone numbers, I will hold on to if and when needed.

This is the way I did it.

Get yourself along to some Champ /Breed shows, plonk yourself down, and watch and observe, not just the dogs, but the exhibitors too, watch how they interact with people, their dogs, (this can take time) pick your target and more in....ask about the breed everything and everything you can think off.....NOW, this is where you know you will get a feeling for a breeder....is how they react to you....if they skim over or look disinterested... they are not the breeder you are looking for.....if they cant shut up, tell you there dogs history, what he likes to eat and so on LOL!! you know you have found a breeder who loves and has the best interest of the bred, and more importantly "will have the time for you " to mentor you along.

I did this with the Giant Schnauzer/ Spinone / irish water spaniel....I spent a lovely day sitting talking to the GS breeder who gave me so much info on the breed, the correct coat type, who breed for the correct coat type, temperament of breeders dogs and so much more...it was not a ploy, for her benifit, as she told me, she ws retiring from breeding and going into the mini`s as she was getting to old for the breed....but to give her a ring any tine in the future , and she would help with inquiries.

Same went for the other two breeds, got lots of infor, who they would reccomend and so on.

So that is how I would do it, you will get a feel for the breeder, follow your instincts..
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think it very difficult getting into a new breed and finding the right breeder, if you where to ask about my breed, I could tell you who to go to and who not to . But when looking for a new breed we are in unentered territory, and sometimes make the mistake of going to the "best" and most "successful" in the breed.
Thank you Jackie that is great advice and I will certainly take that on board. I'm currently going to shows as you said and it's not for another couple of years at least that I want to bringing a pup home, so I have a good chance to see how the dogs develops when their progeny come out and as you say, also how the breeders are and hopefully make some friends along the way.

I have highlighted this part of your post as this is what I did when I got Maddy, and as much as I love her I have no support at all from her breeder nor the owner or her Sire, who doesn't want to know unless his pups are winning. And they are very well known in weims. I don't want to badmouth anyone or start any kind of conflict as there are a lot of very lovely and helpful people in every breed but since having Maddy and needing to seek help from those in the breed, i've been sorely dissapointed and unfortunatley this has put a downer on a breed I truely adore, hence me wanting to be extra maticulate this time and probably an absolute nightmare to the breeder of my future pup (who's mum probably isn't even born yet never mind him! )
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Thank you Jackie that is great advice and I will certainly take that on board. I'm currently going to shows as you said and it's not for another couple of years at least that I want to bringing a pup home, so I have a good chance to see how the dogs develops when their progeny come out and as you say, also how the breeders are and hopefully make some friends along the way.

I have highlighted this part of your post as this is what I did when I got Maddy, and as much as I love her I have no support at all from her breeder nor the owner or her Sire, who doesn't want to know unless his pups are winning. And they are very well known in weims. I don't want to badmouth anyone or start any kind of conflict as there are a lot of very lovely and helpful people in every breed but since having Maddy and needing to seek help from those in the breed, i've been sorely dissapointed and unfortunatley this has put a downer on a breed I truely adore, hence me wanting to be extra maticulate this time and probably an absolute nightmare to the breeder of my future pup (who's mum probably isn't even born yet never mind him! )
Sadly I know what you mean...the same goes here....in fact I will go one further...when I used to see (at shows)and ask Millies breeder for help and advice, I got none,,in fact she told me one day......when I asked for her opinion, on Millie..... all she said to me was " she will never make a Champion"

I am not saying ALL top/ show breeders ar like that....but you learn by your mistakes in life.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sadly I know what you mean...the same goes here....in fact I will go one further...when I used to see (at shows)and ask Millies breeder for help and advice, I got none,,in fact she told me one day......when I asked for her opinion, on Millie..... all she said to me was " she will never make a Champion"

I am not saying ALL top/ show breeders ar like that....but you learn by your mistakes in life.
Exactly JB, know where you're coming from.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 12:17 PM
A good breeder help's through good time's and bad, winning or losing and unfortunetly you only find out your'e breeder is a bad one when you ask for help.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I have to say Kel, the breeders I spoke to before getting Cosmo were all incredibly helpful and friendly and welcoming. If I had been scared or wary of any of them then that would have been that I'm afraid! If you want to develop a friendship then it should be one you are happy with!!!!! It is good to be respectful but if you want a friendship then you need someone that is down to earth and friendly.
Cosmo's breeder is ace. She is in constant contact and emails me if I've not been in touch enough!!! She is genuinely interested in how he's doing, but more importantly, when we went to view the litter and met her properly (rather than the long emails and phone calls....) we were going to spend just an hour with her....it was dark by the time we left!!!!!!! We had such a great time and got on like a house on fire. We fully intend to meet up with her and her beautiful dogs regularly.

All I'm trying to say is don't be too scared, if you want a friendship with these people, then you should feel at ease with them...just ebcause they are breeders, doesn't make them any better than you Kel...do you see what I mean???
Axxxxx
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have to say Kel, the breeders I spoke to before getting Cosmo were all incredibly helpful and friendly and welcoming. If I had been scared or wary of any of them then that would have been that I'm afraid! If you want to develop a friendship then it should be one you are happy with!!!!! It is good to be respectful but if you want a friendship then you need someone that is down to earth and friendly.
Cosmo's breeder is ace. She is in constant contact and emails me if I've not been in touch enough!!! She is genuinely interested in how he's doing, but more importantly, when we went to view the litter and met her properly (rather than the long emails and phone calls....) we were going to spend just an hour with her....it was dark by the time we left!!!!!!! We had such a great time and got on like a house on fire. We fully intend to meet up with her and her beautiful dogs regularly.

All I'm trying to say is don't be too scared, if you want a friendship with these people, then you should feel at ease with them...just ebcause they are breeders, doesn't make them any better than you Kel...do you see what I mean???
Axxxxx
I know what you mean A and I think the main reason I am apprehensive, apart from the fact that they are really well respected e.t.c is that i've been shot down in the past with the breeder of Maddy's Sire and i'd not even rate her on par with some of these breeders i'm wanting to meet, if you know what I mean? Some are Champ judges who have been in the breed more years than i've been on the planet!

Basically I approached the owner of Maddys Sire in a friendly and polite way, explaining I had a pup from her dog and I was basically shunned with no more than a few words. She wanted nothing to do with us. I sent a few emails even with pictures of Maddy, called a couple of times but eventually I just resigned to the fact that she quite obviously didn't want to know.

Now I know not everyone who is 'high up' in their breed is like this to newcomers but I also understand a lot of people (in any breed) are and that this breed in particular can be a hard one to become accepted in.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Let them see you for what you are, a genuine person, dont put on any airs and graces that can be seen through, and be honest and open in your questions, regarding meeting these people at shows, I would definately wait til AFTER they have been in the ring, even the most helpful nice people can be a little nervous about going into the ring and may appear un interested in what you are asking because they have other things on their mind. as already stated the top winning kennel may not be the mentors you are looking for, you want someone that is open about health issues in their lines, prepared to explain how they are trying to overcome these issues etc at the end of the day you want someone you can relate to and ask even the silliest of questions and they wont treat you like an idiot.

Mo
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >