Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 06:17 PM

Junior Handling - proud mum moment

I thought I would share our weekend - and kind of follow on from Rambles kids and dogs training success too

Last weekend both Emily and Jessica attended a super junior handling training day run by Marina Scott (nee White) and Helena Hutchins - both succesful ex-junior handlers.

Emily was kindly loaned a dog from a friend a rather biddable Spanish Water Dog named Abbie.

The morning was started off by a short talk then the children were split into groups do work on pattern work.

There were different abilities and some hadn't ever handled a dog before - but they were all super and the dogs were brilliant.

There was a nice lunch break and raffle - we did win a couple of prizes - all dog related Connor slept

I have to commend Marina and Helena who were fantastic at passing on their knowledge and giving the guidance and encouragement at just the right level for all those taking part. Everyone was always encouraged to be kind and gentle with their dogs which was great.

In the afternoon stacking techniques and presenting to the judge was worked on - as well as shadowing.

Connor was quite tired despite his lunchtime nap!

Their was a mini competition which was judged by another successful ex junior handler and now succesful adult handler too - Hannah Boutall.

The classes were 6-10 and 11+ Em and Jess were in the younger age group.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p...9022008110.flv

Jessica managed a 4th place with Connor who did really well for her again.

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=f6eb8560.pbr

Emily sadly forgot her training and went for enthusiasm but as she went between the judge several times - but she did really well having not handled a SWD or Abbie before!

http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=89b9a8f3.pbr

There were prizes handed out for Most Improved Handler, Best Listener and Handler who tried the hardest.

Jess won Handler who tried the hardest - was so proud of her.

Everyone did super and I think they will be running the event in the summer and I hope the girls will attend again!

Goodie bags were also handed out to all that took part and they all got a chance to talk to the judge about their handling.

But that wasn't the end of Jess's rosettes for the weekend.

We went to Portsmouth and Southsea open show in Havant where Jess took part in the Junior Handling again with Connor.

This was probably her biggest class so far with 13 entered - along with some very experienced handlers too! In fact the young girl who won the Junior Handling Final was in her class! She really is very good though and came first!

Well I am very proud to say Jess came third she really worked hard with Connor who was very good just fidgeting whilst showing teeth but he stacked really well for her and moved great!

Jessica came 3rd!!! The judge was really nice and said she should keep up the good work and it was a strong class.

I am so proud that Jess came away having learnt loads from the training day and was able to put it into practice too. She will soon have more rosettes than Connor

I love it that she has taken an interest and is able to do something with Connor - hopefully she can take part in agility in September when Connor is old enough and the new beginners class starts too.

Thanks for reading!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Brill keep it up, well done.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 06:29 PM
fab well done
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 07:22 PM
congratulations to Jess for her awards and
and to Emily - never lose that enthusiasm!
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 07:33 PM
oh bless them, well done girls!

I wish we had that sort of thing here, sadly not though.

Rachel, you must be very proud of them all - and dogs too!
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Congrats to both of them! What a great weekend.

We were at Portsmouth and Southsea too, I actually watched Jessica's class! I have to say I thought she handled Connor wonderfully, especially him being a young dog, and setters certainly don't come across as the easiest dog to handle.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Oh that sounds fantastic. You have every right to be a very proud mum.

Well done both Keep up the good work.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Superb and lovely to see youngsters participating well done,I'd be so proud too,xxxxxxxxxxxxx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

13-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Well done Jess and Emily. Keep up the good work.

So nice to see the youngsters handling.

Some of them could put the adults to shame.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Absolutely fantastic Rachel you have every right to be a very proud mum indeed! I just think it's magical to see kids and dogs with a brilliant relationship...just fantastic and I also think these threads are so happy and lovely...

Congratulations to you and your family Rachel, I hope the rosette pile continues to grow, sounds like it will!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >