Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2007, 02:05 AM

Grooming a springer

My springer is just a pup (5 months) and at present a daily brush seems to suffice as her hair is still short. When is she likely to need clipped for the first time and how often will it need done?
I'm quite happy to clean ears, cut nails etc as am used to doing it.

She is my first long haired dog, I have previously had labs and never had to go to a groomer with them.

x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Hi, I don't have a springer but i found this link, hope it helps

You need to look down the left hand side and click on 'Guide To Trimming' its the 13th one down
http://www.englishspringer.org/Julia/pages/pageone.htm
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi is your springer a show strain or working strain, if she is working you may not have to have her clipped, i have 3 and none of them need clipping, i just take the fluffy bits out using a coat king and a stripping knife.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-07-2007, 11:15 AM
as lizzy has just asked is she show or working springer? if she is show springer and depending on if you intend to show her she should not be clipped.

i have 2 working springers. one is clipped only because when she was spayed her coat just went like cotton wool. also its alot cooler for her in summer. i only trim sam cos he is quite short-coated.

hope that helps you!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 11:15 AM
I have 4 springers, working type, and never clip them. I trim their ears ocasionally and their feet but that's it. I obviously groom them but don't clip them.

Helen
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Hello Kirsty I have looked at Molly's pictures and she looks like a working springer with quite light furnishings so she should be comparatively easy to keep tidy.
I would trim her as a cocker, no clipping.

I would buy a hard chalk block (you can buy one on line from Petcetera 92204 Groomex )and a fine toothed metal comb with a handle /rounded teeth. Rub the chalk block on the coat then comb, this will bring out the loose dead coat, now brush with a soft brush to remove the chalk. Trim around the feet with a pair of scissors , if the coat gets too thick you can use thinning scissors sparingly .

You can also use a stripping knife with the chalk block to remove dead hair particularly on the topknot if it gets too thick
kirstya72
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Thank you so much for all your replies, Molly is from the working strain so hopefully as you all say she won't need a formal clipping just a wee tidy up now and then.