Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Hyperadrenocorticism

Just been on the phone for about an hour to my cousin. She's absolutely distraught bless her. Her 9 year old Lhasa 'Prue' has today been diagnosed with Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushings Disease).

Her vet's hadn't really explained to her very well what Cushings was, nor had they really discussed the treatment with her properly, so I had her crying down the phone to start with saying that her dog was going to die! I've managed to calm her down a bit now, after explaining to her exactly what cushings is, explaining the treatments and explaining that it can be managed effectively and the majority of dogs on treatment continue to lead perfectly happy lives.

Poor little pup has been through so much in the past. Big hugs to Prue please everyone!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 04:25 PM
It is scary we that tob had it, but lucky he hasn't.
Hugs to the little man, mum has a lhasa too.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
It is scary we that tob had it, but lucky he hasn't.
Hugs to the little man, mum has a lhasa too.
I totally agree, it is definately scary - I think for her it was more fear of the unknown.

All the vets had told her was that Prue had been diagnosed with Hyperadrenocoticism, didn't really explain what it was, told her that she would have to start treatment immediately but didn't tell her what the treatment was, or how it helped. Mentioned no further blood tests to her either. Because she was in such a panic when she found out, she didn't really think to ask, but really they should have explained it all to her anyway - so technically I was still "Hayley - Veterinary Nurse" for a extra hour today I think the long word scared her aswell! When I told her it was also known as Cushings she seemed to calm down a bit and said it didn't sound so bad.

Just spoken to her again, she's phoned her vets and asked them all the questions she meant to ask before and her mind has been put at ease. They are starting her on Vetoryl tomorrow and hopefully it won't take too long to get her on the correct dosage and get her stabilised.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Which is the main thing, the worst thing for any owner is knowing your dog has a problem, but not the facts.
We didn't know with him, until i asked the vets to do a test, but the more info you have the better for the dog.
Well done in helping her out,you have shown her today there is a light at the end.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 09:07 PM

Pru xdk
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2007, 10:38 PM

hugs for your sisters wee doggie,and for your sister xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi Mummy2Max it is good that you were able to help reassure your cousin about Prues condition. Perhaps you could suggest that your cousin writes down any questions she wishes to ask the vet to take with her when next she visits, it is so easy too forget what to ask the vet when you are anxious.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2007, 06:13 AM
Thank you for the lovely kind thoughts everyone

I never thought of that Mini, very good idea - thanks