Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:01 PM

I'm fat and need to lose weight - help!

Ok... this is embarrassing, but has to be done. I am definately overweight. I don't nknow how much I weigh, but I think in the region of 14-15 stone. and I'm 5'. so it';s not good at all. I am a size 18-20 and I want to be a size 10-12 again - for my wedding. I don't want to be a fat bride, and I don't want to have to buy stupid gargantuan bras from Marks and Spencers. I want to buy pretty underwear from la-senza etc - instead of haulage gear.

I get really down about my appearance - I have a massive double tummy, and chubby cheeks and saggy boobs. I was nowhere near this big last summer - and it's since I've stoipped drinking. I only have a drink occasionally now. why though? I've been eating healthier, excersicing more and I'm getting fatter.

I just don't know what to do.

Any advice? I have been thinking about cutting my intake down to 500 calories a day - but karl said that would be nearly anorexic, and maybe not safe. I don't care - i just want to be human again.

xx
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Try not to feel to bad about yourself, I'm in the same boat as well, I'm overweight (not saying my weight though but it's definately to much )

I'm a bit despondant at the moment as well, as I have gall stones and have been told that I need an operation, BUT for me to have the op I have to loose a bit of weight first as it's to much of a high risk going in for surgery being as overweight as I am.

Try not to limit your intake to 500 calories, I think your body would need about 850 to just operate, and 500 would mabe be a bit extreme, I know I limited my calorie intake to 1200 a few months ago and when I stuck at it, it was great and I shifted a stone, but bad habits crept up on me again and whilst I havent gained it again, I'm staying the same weight, I can't seem to shift this extra weight now.

I've been limiting my intake of food and eat hardly any fat (the pain from gall stones is a great turn off for food) and have taken up doign a slow jog with my OH every day, for about 2 miles, I dont jog the whole distance as I'm terribly unfit but I do little bits in between. I was all enthusiastic about it and when it came to a week later, I had put a kilo on !! How in the hell did that happen ?

So if other DW's can offer advice to me as well, I'll gladly like to hear !
Tirnanog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
500 calories a day is far too low - your body will shut down - 1500 based on lean meat chicken /fish /vegetables / fruit and watch the carbs is the latest diet advice see The GI Diet - starting amount ratio to weight height and obviously exercise and NO eating between meals which is where most of us fall down - best of luck
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Hiya

Well done you for taking the first step. Have you looked at low GI diets? I know I bang on about them all the time but they are so easy, healthy, logical and you never ever feel hungry. Just google low Gi and you'll get an idea.

Also, try some toning - pilates or yoga. As a really simple first step, stand normally, pull your tummy in to a comfortable level (don't go to extremes). Get a bit of non-stretchy cord, tie it round your middle, snug but not tight. Every time you let your core abdo muscles relax you'll feel the cord and have to tighten (gently tone) them again. Make the cord smaller as the weight (gradually) goes, from the diet.

Good luck.

There's lots of people on here who will encourage you to do this, if you want, but only you can do it. Don't do the crash diet - they work while you're crashing but don't re-educate you.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
thank you all so much - I will look into the diet on my return from Uni - I am sure it will help - if so many speak highly of it!
No time now - but will reply later in full.
thanks

xx
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Willow]
I've been limiting my intake of food and eat hardly any fat (the pain from gall stones is a great turn off for food) and have taken up doign a slow jog with my OH every day, for about 2 miles, I dont jog the whole distance as I'm terribly unfit but I do little bits in between. I was all enthusiastic about it and when it came to a week later, I had put a kilo on !! How in the hell did that happen ?
QUOTE]

Good, healthy, lean muscle weighs more than flabby fat. If you're fitter you will be heavier. Don't worry (too much) about kilos, look at yourself, how do your clothes fit, what is your waist measurement?

Take care with some of the measurements - e.g. on the BMI reckoning Laurence Dallalio is overweight - there's not an ounce of fat on the man!
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz
thank you all so much - I will look into the diet on my return from Uni - I am sure it will help - if so many speak highly of it!
No time now - but will reply later in full.
thanks
xx
Low GI - with lots of pulses etc such a lentils, split peas, chick peas, pearl barley, rice and beans, is also very cheap . How good is that?
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi ya matey

As a fellow bride-to-be i completely know how you feel. I am a size 16 and 5'2! I have lost a stone and a half doing weight watchers.

I went wedding dress shopping on friday and it was a revelation. I finally realised that it didn't matter what size i was because i was still Jodie.

I put on wedding dresses i thought i would never put on and they looked fine!!

The shop assistants actually said that for a lot of dresses these days, they look best on curvy women.

When i put on the dress i have chosen i froze to the ground because even i thought i looked like a princess ( and that is very hard to admit when all your life you have hated the way you look!!)

So listen, you will look stunning when you get married especially when you have an air of confidence about you!!

PM me if you ever want to talk weddings... i have the bug now!!

Jodie xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey!

How long do you have to lose the weight? How much do you think you need to lose? 500 calories is definitely not enough. Firstly you will be unlikely to get all the nutrients you need and secondly you will quickly feel weak and thirdly you will be unlikely to keep it up for a long time because you'll feel far too hungry and deprived and probably give in. I tried that a few times - starving all week then pigging out at the weekend and didn't lose a pound in the end .

Essentially you need to take in less calories than you consume. Do that and you will lose weight. You can make simple changes to your diet (lower fat, sugar, more veg etc.) and increase your exercise levels to burn up more calories. Here is something I posted a while back - hope it is helpful.

Squash burns up absolutely loads (calories).
Running, skipping and spinning are excellent too. Walking and swimming are great for low impact. Try to do stuff you enjoy so that you will want to do it.

I'd say cut down on bread but the odd slice of wholemeal or granary is okay - remember you do need healthy carbohydrates if you want to avoid fatigue and have the energy to exercise as they end up as glycogen which is stored in the muscles.
Replace sweets with a piece of fruit
Replace drinks with water or low cal drinks if you can't stand water. Cut down on alcohol. This is my biggest downfall . I should think the odd cup of tea is okay with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk.
Cut down on fat and cut out saturated fat.
Cut out sugar, cakes, biscuits etc. or limit to once a week (not all at once )
Eat lots of veggies - a salad with every meal can help fill you up so you don't eat too much other stuff. If you must have salad dressing, try lemon juice and herbs or some of the low fat vinaigrettes.
Don't eat fried stuff, although a stir-fry using a small amount of, say, extra virgin olive oil is pretty healthy, but you can fry in water try those oil sprays.
Porridge is a really healthy meal.

I would still allow the occasional treat, say the odd glass of wine or something.

Slow weightloss is best as you eat a bit more so you don't feel deprived and dream about cakes so it's easier to keep it up. You could lose 1 - 2 lb a week over six weeks, which is considered a healthy weight loss and your body doesn't suffer a dramatic decrease over a short time.

It takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat but remember we all have different metabolisms. Regular exercise and not starving yourself should help keep your metabolism up.

Muscle can weigh more than fat but is more compact, so you look smaller and more toned.

Good luck!
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2005, 01:30 PM
No processed food sums it up really (includes drinks, takeaways)

Water, fresh fruit (particularly apples, great fibre) & veg, lots of white meat, fish, chicken

Alcohol puts on loads too so try and limit your intake of it.

And exercise - if you hate gyms - a good brisk walk daily can really work wonders.

What I find helps is a good bowl of porridge and fresh fruit piled on top - really filling and it gives you loads of energy through the day.

Drink loads of water - sometimes we are thirsty not hungry although our minds lead us to think otherwise

I'm sure everyone has said the same thing.

P.S if you do have a sweet craving maybe consider a few weight watchers items - we have a small stash at home to be 100% honest with you - they do lovely frozen desserts, and also little chocolate rolls - this is our treat to ourselves when I'm feeling hormonal

Good luck

Ohh yes I agree with LS on bread - it is quite evil really you'll be surprised how much you can lose by not eating bread at all!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »