Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2014, 03:01 AM

Girl's Afternoon Out, and Callie Too!

How many times can I say how much I love my wonderful man? I think a lot of it is that I got used to dealing with Sophie for so long I really never had a uh hem... "normal" dog before. I'm sure there's others with the same experience. If your first long term dog has major behavior or health issues and the next dog has none it's something remarkable.

Even when Sophie has been at her most easygoing there has always been the fear issue. Virtually any unexpected noise, people, balloons flying, imaginary things perhaps, a twig snapping under her foot. Her aggression towards other dogs that went from mere hysterical barking to attacking them as she got older. Killing squirrels that progressed to killing stray cats. Driving with her meant even a chipmunk crossing the road would have her crazed to the next block.

Now I walk her in our neighborhood, keep an eye out for any other creatures keep her a distance from people by her choice. I swear if she attacks any other critters again I'm muzzling her too. If she panics and freezes I pick her up and lug her until she'll walk again. We still get in long hikes but you can't ever really relax with a dog like her.

But back to the subject at hand. We were going to go to a BBQ today. With road closures we had a change of plans. Then I remembered Panera, a sandwich chain nearby that has a porch area. All the stores in the same strip mall welcome dogs as well. We took Callie, got him a fast food cheese burger as his lunch. He doesn't need the organic Panera creations.

But it was fantastic, it was amazing. We sat on the shaded patio having a leisurely lunch. He laid down next to my seat to relax. I fed him pieces of burger and we shared our food too. He didn't say a word, people and other dogs strolling by and he was just happy having the breeze in his ears. No begging, just whatever we offered he was pleased.

Then I walked him into different stores. He would wag at other dogs and maybe sniff then walk on his way. He walked around people. If they stopped to pet him he wagged and smiled. He was also good about not marking corners in stores. We saw puddles where other dogs had, of course he snuffled them but didn't feel he needed to do it too.

In the car he stretched across my daughters lap with his head in mine. Sound asleep until we got home. Even awake he doesn't bark or growl in the car. He just sits in the seat looking out with interest until he's ready for another nap. Maybe this is all the behavior of an average well-adjusted canine. But for me it's brand new, terrific day!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Sounds like Callie really enjoyed being included in the girls' afternoon out!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Loved reading that,so lovely
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm in such a similar situation Leslie and it's a real pleasure to be out and about with a "normal" dog.
I spent over 15 years making sure that we never came into contact with other dogs or situations that wod spook my last bitch and although I loved her dearly she was very hard work.
I'm delighted to hear that you've had such a super day.