Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sadie05
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2008, 03:54 PM

Agility

Well, got her doing 4 obstacles over the weekend, and she did fascistic like always! The obstacles are out of logs in our back yard. I make sure to break off any sticks that are hanging in the way. I wouldn't do anything her hurt her.
When we go backwards she intends to skip the second to the last obstacle and miss the last obstacle as well .
Any ideas on what to there? She jumps them all going forward. Pics soon!
We were out for a 1/2 hr both days, Sat & Sun!
You can tell she gets tired, because she doesn't want to listen to you very well and becomes uninterested.
I don't blame her.
I need to get more equipment to keep her intrested in it.
Any ideas on equiment that you can make at home.
I'll keep you guys posted on how we are doing!

~ Andrea~
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Well weaves are easy as they are just poles stuck in the ground, so that's all you need there really. For the a dog walk you could just get come planks of wood, of similar width, and place them on the ground, and then get her to walk the plank Then you'd need to attach them together and build the height up a little at a time.

Hope that helps
Iain
Sadie05
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2008, 08:08 PM
UPDATE!:

Been changing the jumps and the heights abit to keep her intrested. Seems to help. Did alittle bit today snice it's a nice day out. She jumps them with eases. She will have the whole weekend off b/c I'll be out of town until Monday. So she'll enjoy her 4 day break! That' all for now!

~ Andrea~ :smt001
Sadie05
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2008, 01:00 AM
UPDATE!

She is now jumping a total of 7 jumps!
Very proud of her. She use to be a picky eater before I started her with agility.In the morning we do about 1/2 hr in the morning and 1/2 hr at night.
She eats both meals. At times she'll skip a meal here and there, but is a lot better eater!
Sadie05
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2008, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by I-mac77 View Post
Hi,

Well weaves are easy as they are just poles stuck in the ground, so that's all you need there really. For the a dog walk you could just get come planks of wood, of similar width, and place them on the ground, and then get her to walk the plank Then you'd need to attach them together and build the height up a little at a time.

Hope that helps
Iain
Tried the dog walk with her, and she hates it.
So I'm not going to push her on that.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by Sadie05 View Post
Tried the dog walk with her, and she hates it.
So I'm not going to push her on that.
Was that on the floor?
Build it up slowly, with it on the floor. Start with getting her to put her back feet on the contact area, once she is happy with that, put her on from about 2m back so she only goes on a little.
Sadie05
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I had it up not even a inch flat and she didn't like it.
I just have a flat board on the floor now. Gonna try it again soon.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Alot of dogs dont like the feel of the different surface on their paws but persistnace is the key and they'll soon realise it's nothing to be scared of.

When we first did the dog walk and A-Frame with Jed, he was very nervous of the gritted wood and would just try and jump off it, even flat on the ground. Now however, the A-Frame is his favourite piece of equipment and will climb it at any given opportunity!

Just take your dog by the collar (more control and safer) and gently lead them along the plank with a titbit in front of them (or a toy), giving them lots of praise and then a big fuss once they've done it.
I-mac77
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Sadie05 View Post
I had it up not even a inch flat and she didn't like it.
I just have a flat board on the floor now. Gonna try it again soon.

Start slowly, just get her to go on the end contact, with a close lead, and reward and praise, (click if clicker training) when in correct finishing position. Do that for a few times.

Then next build it up a fraction
Sadie05
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Alot of dogs dont like the feel of the different surface on their paws but persistnace is the key and they'll soon realise it's nothing to be scared of.

When we first did the dog walk and A-Frame with Jed, he was very nervous of the gritted wood and would just try and jump off it, even flat on the ground. Now however, the A-Frame is his favourite piece of equipment and will climb it at any given opportunity!

Just take your dog by the collar (more control and safer) and gently lead them along the plank with a titbit in front of them (or a toy), giving them lots of praise and then a big fuss once they've done it.

Thanks for the tip. I did lead her by her collar and she would just go around it. I'll have to keep trying.:smt002
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >