View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I think years ago most folk stuck with the good old hienze 57, you never had a problem with a good old mongrel, fads are growing and so is the problem of sensitivity with it, plus as dog owners now we seem thankfully to be more sensitive to our dogs health.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I think there is more too it than just food. We are too clean nowadays, as has been mentioned already in this thread., cleaning every speck of dirt with some new antibacterial cleaner.

I thought Finn had food allergies but it turns out not so. He is allergic to storage mites in the food and not the food along with his fungus allergy again probably caused by everything being too clean.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 01:31 PM
I think I have to agree with you there Carole. And I also agree that commercial foods are not as good as they are made out to be, which is basically what I was trying to say earlier.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I agree with a lot of whats already been said on this thread.

In the past, I don't think people paid as much attention to their dogs diet and general well being, dogs were often left to roam and fed on scraps, we are now much more awre of responsible ownership, breeding and health.

Some commercial foods are rubbish, but others aren't, it's like anything else, you have to find what is right for you and your dogs.
You can't say all health probelms are down to diet, there are lots of byb out there, just in it for the money, there is more pollution, more environmental factors, it's impossible to pinpoint one thing that makes dogs less healthy.
In general though our dogs are healthier...

I don't think it's fair to say all vets are in it for the money they can make from selling some commercial foods,and thats why the recommend them. I personally think that is an urban myth put out there by those that are against feeding commercial diets...
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Maybe it was unfair of me to make such a sweeping generalisation, and I apologise for that. But I think vets are offered huge incentives to promote certain products - the same can be said for GPs, who receive incentives to prescribe certain drugs/products.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 04:26 PM
in my opinion - because commercial dog food, even the 'best' packs far too much 'filler' (wheat and grains) into dog food and not enough food that is meant for dogs who are still a carnivourus animal. Commercial dog food relies on added vitamins and not actual food that would be natural to a dog.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
I think there is more too it than just food. We are too clean nowadays, as has been mentioned already in this thread., cleaning every speck of dirt with some new antibacterial cleaner.

I thought Finn had food allergies but it turns out not so. He is allergic to storage mites in the food and not the food along with his fungus allergy again probably caused by everything being too clean.
Excellent point
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2