View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 11:18 AM
I agree with whats been said, I used this on my eldest girl some time ago because we were going to aviemore racing and she was due in season, she missed that season then following seasons were silent but eventually she returned to normal whereby I could breed from her, as there was IMO no problems with this I then at a later date used it on my other girl. this time she still came into season(but only bled very very lightly) the boys were extremely interested in her, she then came into season again in a short time which was a silent season, she has since has further silent seasons to which this last one is the only one that I have known for a fact she was in heat. this injection really does screw up the bitches cycles and remember this was from only one injection on each bitch, imagine the havok it will cause using on a regualr basis.

Mo
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys,

That's enough to put me off altogether! I'll try the raspberry leaf tablets to surpress the phantom but allow her to have her seasons as normal until she's had her (one, maybe two) litter(s) and is then spayed.

I don't want her to have to go through the phantoms if I can help it but I'm not afraid to take responsibility for her when she's in season until she's had her litter and then she'll be spayed.

Thanks again.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks guys,

That's enough to put me off altogether! I'll try the raspberry leaf tablets to surpress the phantom but allow her to have her seasons as normal until she's had her (one, maybe two) litter(s) and is then spayed.

I don't want her to have to go through the phantoms if I can help it but I'm not afraid to take responsibility for her when she's in season until she's had her litter and then she'll be spayed.

Thanks again.
Hi Lottie, if Takara is have false pregnancies ( to me a phantom is when a bitch has been mated and misses) the likelihood is that she will always have them and they will increase in intensity with age as will her chances of developing pyometra.

I would steer well clear of Depo Provera if that is what you are considering, not only will it increase the chances of an inbalance of hormones (which is a factor in false pregnancies) it has also been implicated in other serious conditions like mammary tumours.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

If you are intent on breeding from Takara I would leave well alone and let her have natural seasons then have her spayed once she has whelped.
Jockmcsporran
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-03-2007, 07:34 PM
if its any help i had 1 of my bitches have this jab but our vet insisted that he would not like to administer it on a regular basis amd advised us 3 times in a dogs life was the maximum he would like,we should have asked ahy cos he never did tell us the reasons
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I thought I posted here it seems not to have come out!!! I just wanted to clarify - the dog jab is NOT the same as the human depo-provera jab.

Depo-provera = medroxyprogesterone, human drug not licenced for dogs
Delvosteron = proligestone, veterinary drug licenced for dogs, cats & ferrets
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I thought I posted here it seems not to have come out!!! I just wanted to clarify - the dog jab is NOT the same as the human depo-provera jab.

Depo-provera = medroxyprogesterone, human drug not licenced for dogs
Delvosteron = proligestone, veterinary drug licenced for dogs, cats & ferrets
Hi Harry yes that is so, but I would not wish to use it though except in an emergency particularly on a bitch already having hormonal problems .
I think I may have posted the wrong link above, this is a dog related one..

http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks...contracep.html
Long-acting or depot preparations of progestins such as medroxyprogesterone acetate (Depo-Provera) have been widely used in Europe as contraceptives in bitches. Although effective, there is a clear increase in risk of inducing uterine disease associated with these treatments.
I have read of the increased risk of uterine disease/pyometra and also mammary tumours.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks all,

Mini - that's what I mean by I would let her have her seasons as normal.

She's not been mated, it's just after a season - as I understand it, a bitch doesn't have to be mated to have a phantom. She's not put on weight, or lactating she's just acting differently (only in the house or on the lead, fine when out offlead) and her boobs are big!
Solitaire
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2007, 10:04 AM
My Petal had this jab as she came into season early and I wanted her spayed, it didn't work and her brother got to her, my vet told me it can sometimes be pot luck to get the right time.

I had to weight 4 weeks before Petal could be spayed and she was in welp, as very upsetting time for us and her.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2