View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 03:42 PM

depot jab to stop seasons? Is it harmful at all?

Hi guys,

As my breeder has given me the go ahead to breed from Takara if and when I'm in a financial position to (now have plenty of time), I didn't want to have her done.

However it appears she is having another phantom after her season that ended in January Poor lass.

I don't want her to have to go through these, it makes her very snappy and she's been very quiet too even though she's generally happy enough at home.

A husky breeder I know has mentioned the depot jab to stop her from having seasons and therefore preventing phantoms so that I don't have to spay her and not be able to have a litter from her (this is not a light decision, I would only breed to better the breed and keep a pup and if I had a waiting list, blah blah blah).

Does anyone have any experience with this treatment? Can it be at all harmful to the bitch? I'm going to go and talk to my vet about it, but would much prefer to get some info from you guys first.

Thanks,
Lottie
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-03-2007, 07:09 PM
we just talked about that today at the vets, and yes it does damage. maybe not if the injection is given only once, but if you would use that regurarly it is not nice.
still, les damage than continuous phantom pregnancies.
Nuash GSPs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Hi I don't know about using it in dogs but I have the human one and I no longer have periods so maybe if you put a bitch on it she would no longer have seasons !!!!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 09:20 PM
iv used this once i had a bitch come into season at 12mths -16mths-20 mths-and so on so i got her blood tested to check there was no underlying problems and as she was coming in season every 4 mths the vet suggested we try this jab to regulate her and i must say,she never had on for 9mths after the jab and is perfectly healthy,
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 09:45 PM
I have no personal experience of the jab, but have heard bad things about it from a number of people (including vets). As far as I understand it will stop the immediate season but there is alot of hormone trouble following that, such as very long seasons (months ) and also false pregnancies.
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Can't help with regards to the jab, but I have read in various different places that Raspberry Leaf tablets can prevent Phantom pregnancies. There is a lot of info on the web about it, and you could also speak to your vet about it. I have never used it myself, but it may well be better taking that route than the jab.
http://www.woofnwhiskers.com/info-st...west-herbs.htm
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 06:35 PM
Ooh thanks for that Het, and thanks everyone for your help.

I read that the jab can be harmful if used in the long term, but I'd only be looking to have one, maybe two litters from T (depending on how succesful) and then she'd be spayed so it's only until I'm ready and that would be in the next year or so.
However, I am on hormone tablets to stop periods and I know that this can cause bone marrow issues in the long term, hence my reason for asking about this jab.

I might have a look at the raspberry leaf tablets, I'm not afraid of being responsible for her whilst in season. I just don't want her to have to go through these phantoms again.

She's got carpet burns on her nose from trying to nest in the carpet bless her!
harry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-03-2007, 09:30 AM
The jab used in bitches is a hormone called proligestone, the brand name is 'Delvosteron' if you want to google it to find out more. I would only recommend people use it if they are fully aware of all the possible side-effects etc and have discussed ith with their vet thoroughly. You also have to consider other downsides to keepin a bitch entire, such as increased risk of mammary tumours later in life. Delvosteron is most commonly used in racing greyhounds as they can't compete whilst in season.

Here's the contraindications/warnings from the data sheet (available here http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Inte...on/-28777.html)

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
1. As with all progestagens, the possibility exists that the Cystic Endometrial Hyperplasia/pyometra complex may be seen as a side effect of the medication. In the clinical trials carried out with Delvosteron, however, the incidence of uterine disorders including pyometra, was only 0.3% overall and no cases occurred in bitches injected in pro-oestrus. The incidence of uterine changes was higher (1.4%) in animals which had previously received depot progestagens containing medroxyprogesterone acetate.
2. A transient increased appetite, lethargy and weight gain may be seen in some animals medicated with Delvosteron, but these side effects occur less frequently than with the first generation progestagens such as medroxyprogesterone acetate or megestrol acetate.
3. When using Delvosteron for the suppression of heat, it is important to ensure that the bitch is still in the early stages of pro-oestrus as an injection given in the later stages of pro-oestrus is unlikely to be effective at suppressing heat.
4. Bitches may accept the male for some days after medication with Delvosteron in pro-oestrus (suppression of heat). Thus contact with dogs should be prevented, wherever possible, until the signs of heat, vulval swelling and bleeding have fully regressed. This usually occurs within 5 days of dosing.
In bitches, the duration of postponement of oestrus following a dose of Delvosteron may on occasion be shorter than expected where the medicated animal is housed with other bitches. In such cases contact the Company for advice on possible alternative dosage regimes.
5. Delvosteron has been used to control heat in diabetic animals without altering insulin requirement. However, in other animals, the administration of Delvosteron has led to an increased insulin requirement. It is advised therefore that the product is used with caution in such animals and that urine sugar levels are observed carefully during the month after dosing.
6. A brief pain reaction may be seen immediately after injection. Since a slight local reaction, skin thinning and `pitting' together with some discolouration and loss of hair may occur very occasionally, it is advisable to inject Delvosteron subcutaneously on the medial side of the flank fold in thin skinned or show animals.
7. Very occasionally a local or systemic allergic/anaphylactic reaction may occur, necessitating immediate treatment with an appropriate corticosteroid, antihistamine or adrenaline.
8. Cases of false pregnancy that recur after a second dose of Delvosteron are better treated conservatively (restricted water intake, low carbohydrate diet, increased exercise, etc.) rather than being given further hormone medication. Delvosteron should not be administered to bitches which have been treated previously with oestrogens or other progestagens for the current false pregnancy.
9. A few cases of mammary hypertrophy following the use of Delvosteron in entire and neutered queens have been recorded, but proligestone appears less likely to induce the condition than first generation progestagens.
10. Delvosteron, in common with other progestagens, may cause adrenal suppression in some animals. It may be sensible therefore to administer glucocorticoids to animals being given the product for the permanent postponement of heat if they are subjected to excessive trauma, stress or require major surgery. However no problems have been reported by veterinary surgeons in practice in this respect.
For animal treatment only. Keep out of reach of children.
HTH
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 09:50 AM
A friend of mine who has a show winning bitch, used this to delay her season due to timing not being right for shows etc, her bitch used to have seasons every 6 months to the day, since the jab she's not had a season for 2 years!! She is very upset as she had planned to have a litter from her. Her vet couldn't guarantee her seasons would every return properly, they would just have to wait and hope for the best. This was after just ONE injection.

Personally I wouldn't mess with nature.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I had problems with my young girl and the vet recommended I breed from here as soon as she was old enough. Because I'd brought her to breed from he wouldnt do the vaccine as said it might stop her seasons all together, and he also was reluctant to do it on a yuong dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >