View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi if you have any concerns of raw feeding since your vet took the opportunity to give his opinion a great place to ask some questions would be britbarf...They can help dispell any myths and always make alot of sense. And in my opinion what your vet said is a myth.

Feeding fresh raw meat to dogs does not pose a problem to healthy dogs...Only when the meat is very off is it a problem then of course you don't feed it anyway. The only problem with raw once the dog is already ill is that the bacteria present that is no threat to a healthy dog may overwork the system of a dog whose digestive system is already upset.

I have to say the quickest way to clear up any bout of sickness that my two have had since feeding raw has been to keep food back for a day or even two and then begin them back on their own raw food but in smaller quantities to begin with. Changing them to boiled rice etc only seems to ever make them worse and they never want to eat it anyway. If anything if my dogs were really poorly I would maybe cook the raw meat and offal they are getting - not because it makes it easier to digest because raw meat is the easiest food for dogs to digest! but because it will kill off any bacteria that a healthy dog deals with easily but a comprimised system could do without...Then I would simply add ground eggshell (for calcium etc) to replace the bone which on a sore tummy may prove a little too much. You can use 1/2 a teaspoon of ground eggshell to every 1lb of meat/offal, this will provide adequate calcium.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 01:11 PM
Have another appointment with my usual guy, this avvy, thank goodness the other practice agrees this is not good enough.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 01:21 PM
I have to say unless they were really really poorly like not wanting to get up, run around, eat and drink etc...I would be inclined to just let him have some of his ordinary food but in a small amount at first. I see it like this, if you take away the solids and feed mostly mush, how are they gonna get firmer anyway??

Takoda didn't want to know anything other than his usual meat and bones so I went by what he seemed was good for him. Quit trying to feed him rice and mushy stuff let him have a bit of his own food and it was the best thing I did.

I wouldn't say that if they were out for the count or anything but they seem bright just still having liquid poop??

Also I have to say that now I have been through a couple times of sickness with them both I tend not to go to the vets for digestive upsets unless I feel desparate. I was in and out with keena as a pup pre raw feeding and the only thing they helped with was making us poorer...lol I have learned most these things can be dealt with just as well at home and i'm kinda against them prescribing lots of pills and stuff unless the dog is in a really bad way because I think if you can let them fight the cause on their own they buil up a stronger system rather than getting antibiotics etc for everything. Course when it's a condition you have to have help for you need to see the vet without a doubt.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Just its been going on now since a week ago wed Mys, and I'm starting to worry, I have tried all the other stuff, accept give him his own stuff in smaller amounts, he went from being totally fine, out walking then brought up what he had for brekkie and lunch, no other sickness apart from last night and brining the tabs back up today, just squirts.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Aww I know it is a worry. Keena got real sick as a pup but it looked more like parvo than anything as she was on deaths door and with bright red blood water replacing her poop she was really bad and I got help for that as I was scared she was gonna die - she didn't get up etc...There wasn't much help to be had mind except the hydration stuff was usefull. But the vet was good and was there to keep an eye on the situation because she was close to going in on a drip.

Kody's only been poorly stomach wise once and that was a few months ago, he was off and on for nearly two weeks but I felt it was something we were able to deal with as after the first day or two he was able to keep water down and was back up and about. He did go back and forth with being ok for a day then being sick again which went in for a little while but all in all I felt confident it would eventually pass and wasn't a big danger.

You know within yourself when things are getting serious and no one will be a better judge of that other than yourself. I just feel it a shame when you pay lots for things that don't really work and still have a dog being sick and the sickness ends up going through nothing other than it's own accord.

I would always take a dog to the vet who couldn't keep down fluids for more than a couple days and or didn't want to move about etc and always if it was reoccuring sickness of anykind which needed to be explained.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Just one thought...how is his water intake?? When Kody was being sick it obviously made him very thirsty and he would go to his bowl and drink loads, then as you can guess back it all came everytime. I had to remember to limit his water so that he had small amounts at a time but very frequently. That was one thing that helped him loads.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Hope there is some improvement soon...we are desperately waiting for Fudge to poop as she has sickness with nothing out the other end!!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Aw poor girl, they are such a worry when they are ill, this is what I don't understand about Kain all squirt and no sickness, does'nt seem to make sense.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 02:34 PM
I know many people who feel that changing a dogs food when sick or after being opperated on causes more harm than good, I guess when you think about it there is so much sence in that, I always give scrambled egg after a dog has been under anisthetic, my lot never get sick or bad botty rotts seem to have a cast iron gut, but with the ckcs next door foods that she is not used to can be a big problem, she recently had to be spayed due to pyo, after being let home the vet recomended eggs, the poor wee thing was out the back an hour or so later all staggery and sore pukein her wee guts up, I felt so sorry for her, her owner asked me what I thought she should do, I said leave her for a few hours and soak a wee tiny amount of normal food, but not sloppy just soft she kept it down no problem and seemed all the happyer for some food in her wee tummy, lol,
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
Aw poor girl, they are such a worry when they are ill, this is what I don't understand about Kain all squirt and no sickness, does'nt seem to make sense.
opps forgot that...in that case the regulating his water thing I suggested wont have anything to do with it
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >