Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:14 PM

Large cut (Keena)

I just noticed after our run tonight that Keena had blood on her side. Took a closer look through all her fur and she has approx a 15 to 20mm in diameter almost round circle of a cut which goes right down to muscle.

Do you think she needs to have it stiched or will it heel over? What is the best way to care for it.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-02-2007, 11:23 PM
where on earth did you go Mys? Mountaineering through a scrapyard? That is a big cut, can you think of anything that could have done that sort of damge?
Is she still bleeding or has it stopped?
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:28 PM
If it's still bleeding it will need some attention. Unless you want to shave it and steristrip it in place over night, maybe a phone to the vet wouldn't go amiss.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Oof that is nasty, but saying that mine have had bigger injuries and vets have said leave it. If it's stopped bleeding i'd see how it looks over the course of tomorrow.

Definately cut her fur back around it as close as u can, so the fur doesnt get trapped in when it starts to scab up as that can cause infection. Clean it with cooled boiled salt water and keep a close eye it doesn't become infected. It should start to scab over in a day or 2 and look less 'fleshy'. But it should always look clean.

If by tomorrow it is still gaping you will need to shave the area and nip it together, and put a secure dressing on it.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Awwww, my poor baby

Keep it as clean as you can and give the vet a ring. It may well need a couple of stitches and, depending what she cut herself on, a course of AB's

Give my baby girl a gentle cuddle from 'Auntie Wolfie'
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by skjerstad View Post
If it's still bleeding it will need some attention. Unless you want to shave it and steristrip it in place over night, maybe a phone to the vet wouldn't go amiss.
steristrip, perfect!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Thanks everyone I will pass on Keena's hugs from her auntie wolfie

lol TW well we were out in the dark and they go jumping around all in the undergrowth and through god knows what, digging for rabbits, chasing critters and all sorts and they quite often come back with a war wound or two...But it looks like it might have been barbed wire to me??...It's a very clean round cut not sure if barbed wire would make a cut like that but it's the first thing I thought of cuz thorns and undergrowth stuff tend to make more of a line than a circle???

Anyway heck knows with those two!

By the time I saw it, it had stopped bleeding at least so we just cleaned it up and put a pad over it and have tied a bandage right the way round her middle to hold it in place and luckily cuz she is all wore out it is staying in place. We talked about cutting her fur back around it but haven't yet but will do.

I'll keep watch over it and see how she goes...She certainly is enjoying getting babied now
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Bet the bandage won't be there in the morning, you will find it all shredded up and distributed to places you never knew existed.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 11:53 PM
I'll let you know how she goes with it...lol I'm hoping she'll sleep right through now
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Well you can only hope......
I remember reading somewhere that dog saliva is the best thing for cleaning wounds and everything.
I remember when I was little if you had a scrape or a cut you let the dog lick it so it would heal quickly
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >