Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 11:49 AM

Swimming for a puppy?

I have a 10 weeks N Inuit.
Next week he will beable to go out for walks.
I know that he will need limited exercise untill 12 months so what about swimming.I was thinking it should be good on his joints but wanted to check.
I live next to a river a our dogs love to swim.
I was thinking that swimming would be a good way to make him tired as he has loads of energy.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I'd be a bit careful at the moment, some rivers are flowing pretty rapid due to the rain. Might be best to hold off a while, you wouldn't want the dog to have a bad experience at such a young age.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Not only that, I think they say a 20 min swim is equilelent to 10 mile run. You would probably be over excersing the pup and damage his joints. I'd let him have a paddle, but not a full on swim till he's at least 6/7 months.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by fluffybunnyfeet View Post
I'd be a bit careful at the moment, some rivers are flowing pretty rapid due to the rain. Might be best to hold off a while, you wouldn't want the dog to have a bad experience at such a young age.
Don't worry I wasn't about to throw him into the rapids lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi Lotsofus have you checked out the CHA for a center in your area, they will be able to advise on and monitor the swimming. http://www.k9hydrotherapy.co.uk/
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Lol, I didn't think you were about to throw him in the deep end.

Just reminded me of a few years back when we were down the river with then our only dobe and our BC and our friends with their Jack russels.

My mate had to wade out and grab this young Jack russel as it went bobbing pass in the current, not his mind but someone elses as it passed us

Seemed it (and their owner) had misjudged its swimming abilities and the current and was in the process of drowning as it kept disappearing under.

Our BC swims like a fish, and the Dobes like a brick.
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Oscar is 7 months old now and I am looking forward to the better weather so I can take him to the beach. Can't wait to see his reaction to the sea!
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Have just found this thread. I start my GSD puppies swimming as soon as they have had their injections but at an equestrian & dog pool where they are harnessed & help is at hand. At first they only swim a few yards, but they soon achieve a circit of the pool & by the time they are aduts they are swimming 20 circuits of the pool 10 in each direction. It is great for them as it strengthens muscles without load bearing bone structure. I have just, after taking my vets advice, started to swim my 11 year old rescue dog, hoping to help his muscle tone in his rear legs.Many young dogs swim at the pool but the owner of the pool is an expert & knows how to assess how much they need & other help they may need. Yesteray while I was there a chow was swimming with water wings round his neck to heol keep his ears dry.