Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2014, 06:22 PM

More trips to the vet?

We have had tommy our cocker lab cross for 2 weeks now. He has had some medical problems, most of them have been sorted, but his eyes are still swollen and sore. I have been giving him eye drops 3 times a day for a week now. I took him back to the vets on Saturday and have got more drops and he had a cortisone injection. The injection really seemed to help, but today his eyes are worse than ever. Looks like he will have to go back to the vets tomorrow, any suggestions on what is going on? I am worried sick about him, today after the eye drops he scratched his eyelid and made it bleed. His eyes are clear from infection it is just his eyelids that are swollen and sore.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Where did you get him from, were his eyes like that when you got him.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Not sure where he came from originally. We got him from someone who had only had him a week and given up. He has been treated for lice, had his injections and been wormed since we had him. His eyes were fine for the first week we had him and then this. Could it be a reaction to the meds he has had? He also had ear mites. I am bathing him twice a week in a shampoo from the vets to help the the rest of his skin, but his eyes concern me.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2014, 06:35 PM
What sort of shampoo is it and could it be getting near his eyes?
For goodness sake don't do any of the daft things people sometimes advise such as bathing his eyes with milk, cold tea or anything else that is teeming with bacteria.
Sounds like a vet visit to me.
Hope the poor little guy gets some relief soon.
Chloramphenicol is good for irritated/infected eyes and you can buy Optrex For Infected Eyes which contains it. Don't tell the pharmacist it's for your dog though.
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2014, 06:42 PM
His eyes were sore before we started with the shampoo. It is a prescribed shampoo from the vets, as he has itchy spots on his skin. We have only used the prescribed antibiotic eye drops. Tiacil. I don't think he has had the best start, the vet advised us to build him up physically and emotionally. Just wish we could get to the bottom of the eye situation. I feel so helpless and just want him to be ok.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2014, 06:44 PM
His eyes were fine for the first week we had him and then this. Could it be a reaction to the meds he has had? He also had ear mites. I am bathing him twice a week in a shampoo from the vets to help the the rest of his skin, but his eyes concern me
Hello Tommy if the eyes lids were ok to begin with it sounds like a possible reaction to the shampoo or even the eye drops.

I would go back to the vets ASAP .
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Was wondering if it was some sort of reaction to maybe his bedding, food etc or if had come with it.
Doesn't sound like he had the best start in life either, poor little lad
Tommyboy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-08-2014, 07:00 PM
I have just washed all the bedding today, was thinking the same thing. His eyes were sore before we started with the shampoo and eye drops, these were supposed to help. His eyes definitely look worse when he has been to bed. The vet has seen him twice already for this same problem, every time they charge a consult fee, should they do this if what they have given us doesn't work? I will definitely call the vet tomorrow, and insist that they stop guessing and actually help him. I feel so sorry for him and just want this problem sorted. So far they have guessed an over reaction to mites that are present on every dog or an allergy.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Poor Tommy Just out of curiosity did the vet check him for dry eye?Mine has this,lost an eye unfortunately,due to a ulcer.She also has Piriton which is helping a lot,checked with the vet first of course.Fingers crossed you can get to the bottom of what's going on,awful watching them like that(( hugs))
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-08-2014, 07:08 PM
It may well be the washing powder and/or fabric conditioner that could be causing it.
They always charge a consult fee everytime unfortunately and its a case of elimination really, can they do allergy tests on him at all
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >