View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2014, 07:25 AM
I would agree with all the above, my daughter didn't sleep at night for the 4 years and there is no way that I could have coped with a puppy as well. I had a 9 year old cat too, that was just about as much as I could cope with. So I would seriously wait until your baby is a little older.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Too many dogs are rehomed because of the owners having a baby. It happens all the time. Puppies are exhausting, frustrating, noisy, demanding... they really are hard work. Then when they go through adolescence they become trouble all over again in different ways. As others have said, a child can learn to respect animals by having other pets in the home like rats (which make brilliant pets) or goldfish or whatever.

You don't want to teach a dog to 'protect' your child either - how will the dog know not to attack your child's friends when they come visiting? You really really don't want that.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2014, 12:50 AM
Hello, we have already given you our best advice. We do not believe it's a good idea to buy a puppy at the same time you're having a baby. It's also not a good idea to do protection training with a very young child in the mix.
hommy
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2014, 01:10 AM
why I think it is good idea to have puppy and baby the same time it will be baby best friends
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2014, 04:24 AM
While many dogs adore children and indeed can become their best friends in time... it'll be very hard on you to properly raise both at the same time. A new baby and a new puppy both need tons of attention. Puppies need house breaking, training, and attention, and babies have to be fed, changed and carried everywhere until they can walk.

You will have your hands too full and it will be stressful. Also, protection dogs are not suitable for very small children. I would not want a dog with even trained aggression around my child if I had one. Even properly trained police dogs usually do not live in households with small children.
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2014, 07:23 AM
You can acheive the same thing with a cat. My kids love our cats when they were little and, obviously, cats are easier to care for.
hommy
New Member!
Female 

16-08-2014, 09:14 AM
I have allergy for cat, and I am afraid my baby can get too. But I check so many training classes and find some service dog program, how do you think this is good idea to get classes from this class?
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2014, 09:28 AM
Are you sure that you do not have an allergy to dogs?

Can you clarify what you mean by "But I check so many training classes and find some service dog program, how do you think this is good idea to get classes from this class?" I think I am confused by the language differences.

I agree that it is a good idea to bring a child up with animals but normally babies have enough to learn in their first year - recognising people, learning to eat, crawl, walk etc to bother about animals. Maybe you could wait until the baby is at least a year old before introducing his/her more advanced social learning skills.
greatbarnet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2014, 09:30 AM
In a word, no. If you are going to live with the dog then it is you who needs to train it. Training a dog is an ongoing process anyway; it isn't a one off event, it is continuous. And you are clearly aware you don't have time for that, since you are thinking of getting someone else to do it.

You won't have time for a dog and a baby, it really is as simple as that. If you want someone else to train the dog how about letting someone else actually own it, that would be better for everyone.

Oh yes, and "my child is allergic to the dog" is yet another very common reason people give when they are dumping their poor pet at the local shelter.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Aye, and sometimes people just have to learn from experience. Waay back when my eldest was around two I brought home a gorgeous husky. Adorable yet I had done no research on huskies and was just figuring out an active toddler.

We were in a small apartment. Misha whined and barked whenever we stepped out, something our neighbors reminded us of daily. She teethed on the kitchen furniture, wedged herself behind the bathtub and stripped wallpaper.

When I took her and my son out she would terrify him with her exuberant leaping. Fortunately my brother lived nearby, he's always been big and stocky with lots of patience. His family took Misha in and she was part of their family well into old age.

She did manage to fail obedience school 3 or 4 times, regularly leaped their cyclone fence and managed to dig a six foot deep circle where they tied her out...such a busy girl but they loved her deeply.
May you have a backup plan too just in case it doesn't work out as expected.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >