Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hommy
New Member!
Female 

14-08-2014, 07:18 PM

Expecting first child - want a puppy too

Hi my name is Mila, In a 2 mounth I gonna be mother of my first baby, and I wanna buy some puppy the same time,for protection my baby in a future, and I would like to instill love for animals to my baby from the first day from his life. Can you give me advice about any protection program. thank you very much for your help.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Hi Mila.Welcome to Dogsey
I admire your thinking,it's lovely that you want to bring your baby up loving animals.A newborn and a puppy though...that's a lot of work Maybe other members have done it and can offer better advice,personally I wouldn't We got our puppy when my youngest was 3,so she got to be involved with walks,feeding,playing etc.I had more time also to deal with puppy toilet training,ankle biting and all the little issues that come with a dog
Puppy was just as much work as the baby I would say but,would I fancy doing both together? no way!
I wish you well,whatever you decide.All the very best with the new arrival xx
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-08-2014, 08:42 PM
I agree with Lacey, I would wait until the baby is at least a few years old. You might have too much to cope with being a new mum and a new dog owner at the same time - puppies can be just as much if not more work than babies
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Hi - I would agree; wait until the baby is older. A newborn demands loads of attention and so does a new puppy. I don't think I could have done both at the same time.

You can't be taking the young puppy out for toilet training when the new baby is howling for milk.
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Wise words indeed.
Both together? I think you'd have a recipe for disaster.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2014, 10:45 PM
My Eddie is a rescue. His first owners bought him when the wife was expecting a baby. After a few weeks she became hospitalised, leaving the husband tied between visiting the hospital and working, and neighbours popping in to see to the (non house trained) puppy. After a week of struggling, the puppy had to go to rescue kennels.
I agree with the others, I would wait until you have the time and space to devote to raising and training a puppy.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2014, 11:47 PM
Of course you'll ultimately do what you feel but I can offer advice as a Mom and a seasoned dog owner. The first baby is wonderful and exciting and more work and lack of sleep than you can possibly imagine.

A new puppy is wonderful and exciting and more work and lack of sleep than you can possibly imagine. Actually babies, toddlers and children up to school age, around 6 years, can be encouraged to pet nice doggies and kitties...you can go to a pet shop from toddlerhood to visit the fish and rodents.

There's many ways to foster a love of creatures. But younger than 5 or 6 most kids are more into pulling ears and tails than behaving around dogs and cats. Even when your child is older it might be easier and kinder to adopt an adult dog through a good rescue groups.

Adult dogs are already housebroken and have passed the nippy puppy phase. Adult dogs can be more stable and patient with children and still have a lot of love to give to the right family. I would really reconsider a puppy completely. Just something to think about.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2014, 04:08 AM
I have no kids, but I deal with them to ensure my dog is safe around them. Kids drive me nuts! I could never manage both dogs and kids full time, especially very young and needy kids along with very young and needy dogs. Good advice given to you by everyone here, it's best to wait until the kid does not need your attention all the time.

I would NOT normally advise getting an adult dog with a very young child. It's often best to wait a bit and get a puppy you know you can raise with your child to ensure the dog will be safe for the kids to be around. And of course, supervise at all times.

But since you don't seem to have much experience rearing puppies, perhaps lovemybull is correct this time. An adult dog that is used to kids and housebroken already might be a better option for you.

There are tons of rescues that train the adults and know what homes they come from and can place them well and help you select the right type of dog for you But I'd still wait a bit so you'll have more time to get any new dog acclimated to the house and judge his temperament, dislikes, etc.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2014, 04:10 AM
Oh, and as for protection... that is a touchy subject. Dogs that will "protect" babies might just bite anybody random who comes near him, or worse... guard him from his parents, which I've seen, sadly. I'd never, ever advise getting a dog only for protection purposes.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-08-2014, 06:35 AM
Have to agree with all the posts. Too much hard work and I too would be very sceptical about the protection work with young children or babies around.
Would you be going to training with the dog to learn how to train it in this way or sending it away ?
Where will you get the time if you with a new baby to go to classes regularly if you go down this route ?
Sending it away is a not something I would even consider you will never know how it has been trained it could well be it will be treated harshly and you will be left with one mixed up dog and a young baby. Recipe for disaster.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >