View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:34 AM

What Dog Trainer has inspired you - and why?

There is more to life (and dog training) than one man! Even if he has got very shiny teeth.
There are lots of brilliant trainers and behaviourists out there - come on. let`s hear who they are...

I`ve got 2 - one you`ll know, one you may not:

1. Jean Donaldson, whose book The Culture Clash should be the Bible of pet dog owners.She treats the dog like a dog - but without any of the macho posturing so beloved by the Dominance school. her clear explanation of how the dog regards Biting (last resort, I warned you etc.) , and the need for repetition and changes of location in learning particularly impressed me.

2. Barbara Sykes, whose book on Agression saved Daisy`s life and my sanity. She trains collies (sheep-dogs) and I know nothing of this side of her work but her detailed work with a severely reactive dog was inspirational, and very practical - be calm, make slow small steps in the training, and know the dog`s limits - don`t push it.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd say John Cree a Scottish working trials person I went to his classes in the '80's and he was doing a lot of things then that appeared at classes later on as something new.
He was very much in favour of motivating the dog and in fact had me down on my hands and knees to help my Boxer enjoy retrieving. He was also doing structured courses with worksheets when most clubs were just going round and round a hall for an hour
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2009, 12:23 PM
The late john fisher and never-ever-late charlie clariicoates.

Both are pioneers in turning dog training from the barbara woodhouse method of teaching to what we know today.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Not sure whether you could call her a trainer but...Sarah Fisher. Her understanding of dogs and how TTouch and gentle positive training methods can help are inspirational.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Over the years I have read about and been shown many of the methods used to train dogs and I have watched the 'training fashions' come and go as we gained more knowledge about canine behaviour.

There are a number of trainers whose methods I have read about and agree with to a point but not completely,the late John Fisher, the Volhards and Gwen Bailey included.

If I had to recommend any present day trainers Jean Donaldson, Ian Dunbar and Turid Rugaas would be top of my list
Why these people, well because they have demonstrated that it is possible to get the best out of your dog by using patience and understanding, and without resorting to heavy handed methods and training aids. I have found their kind of training results in a well balanced happy dog.

Because many new puppy owners read this forum I would like to mention Lyn Fleet and Helen Roberts two APDT trainers who have produced a little book called ''The Fast Track Puppy Survival Kit'' a copy of which should be given with every new puppy sold .It covers the basics of puppy ownership and will help to get a new owner through the first weeks using 'kind, effective and fair methods'
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Over the years I have read about and been shown many of the methods used to train dogs and I have watched the 'training fashions' come and go as we gained more knowledge about canine behaviour.

There are a number of trainers whose methods I have read about and agree with to a point but not completely,the late John Fisher, the Volhards and Gwen Bailey included.

If I had to recommend any present day trainers Jean Donaldson, Ian Dunbar and Turid Rugaas would be top of my list
Why these people, well because they have demonstrated that it is possible to get the best out of your dog by using patience and understanding, and without resorting to heavy handed methods and training aids. I have found their kind of training results in a well balanced happy dog.

Because many new puppy owners read this forum I would like to mention Lyn Fleet and Helen Roberts two APDT trainers who have produced a little book called ''The Fast Track Puppy Survival Kit'' a copy of which should be given with every new puppy sold .It covers the basics of puppy ownership and will help to get a new owner through the first weeks using 'kind, effective and fair methods'
I have to say I agree with Mini as well as the previous post about Sarah Fisher, who most certainly is a dog trainer. I've been lucky enough to see her in action and she is brill.

As for Helen and Lynn...they are also brill, I have also seen them in action. I would also recommend the book, they also have one on dog adolescence.

They will be well chuffed they are on a thread like this...off to email the link!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I think the trainers who I have admired over the years have already been mentioned -

Jean Donaldson - The Culture Clash should be given to every new puppy/dog owner to read.

Barbara Sykes - not only highly experienced with border collies, but also helped my friend with her fear aggressive GSD no end. Very simple, practical approach that works.

John Cree - his books on Understanding the GSD and Training the GSD have inspired me and helped me understand how my dog thinks and how to motivate him.

Also, must mention Joyce Stranger. Not only a novelist and author, but a seriously good dog trainer. Again a simple, firm but fair approach that really worked.

Then a police dog handler who no-one will know - he helped me work through my first GSD's numerous problems when she came to me at 16 months of age. I will always be indebted to him - and wish I could train and understand GSDs as he does.

Not forgetting Thomas Longton, the sheepdog trainer and triallist, who mentored me and eased me into the highs and lows of training a sheepdog
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Dogsey's very own Shona is the trainer who has inspired me the most. She gave me the confidence boost I needed to help me realise I was doing ok with Bryan and not to worry about what other people think.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-01-2009, 03:43 PM
this guy i have found very inspiring:

http://www.flixya.com/video/90219/SN...ssing_Your_Dog
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 04:00 PM
The biggest and best motivations for me have been the people on this site and a border collie site. If it haddent been for both these forums I might have bought 1 book or watched 1 tv show and thought their methods were gospel

But I have learned that there are many different methods out there that work, and more importantly learned why each method works and then taken that to my dog and the dogs I have seen around me to adapt my training based on all of that

Ian Dunbar has impressed me, Sylvi trukman (sp) is amazing (although training not behaviour), the control uleashed woman (have to get me a copy of the DVD) and a few others
But mainly people like Patch on here and an amazing woman in america who gives great training advice
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >